How do you make a decision to stop riding?! I am in pain in my knees when I get up -- my hips too....my MD says it's arthritis....going to start physical therapy; can't afford much else as he is also in rehab with his back; I still have to lunge him prior to putting his saddle on and when I put his saddle on...it's better but not ideal....maybe it's time to quit riding and/or lease a horse rather than buying another one...decisions, decisions....any ideas out there (I'm 55 and very creaky)

Views: 291

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Jackie;

I guess I wasn't really referring to any spacific breed, just hot blooded in temperment. My friend has a full blooded Arab who is the most laid back fellow an over 50's could wish for. You can also find some pretty hot temperments in the Standardbred breed. I guess that is the most amazing thing about this breed; whatever it is you are looking for you will find right here. I intentionaly chose a youngster who had a calmer disposition simply because, as is being discussed, I don't bounce like I used to.
t
Well, I stopped riding from the age of 24 to 40 -- then started again at 40; bought him at my age of 52 and now I am 55 - close to 56. My body is quickly slowing down and becoming more and more creaky plus I've gained about 25 lbs since I bought him (thyroid problems...my MD is treating). I am contemplating if I can find someone to do a 1/2 lease on him and then he'd at least have someone riding him. I just don't need one more stressor in my life and he is becoming more of a stressor than a joy with his saddling problems (as I said earlier he is being treated on-going by the DVM and has improved since her treatment began). I am realizing with my job (long story there....) I am worn out and my time is very limited to ride --- my availability to ride has changed since I bought him due to the economy. I've had to focus on the job more than him which he deals with but I need to have more time to spend with him on the ground and in the saddle --- if I can ever get him saddled on my own.....anyway thanks to all of you for your advice and such. I'm exploring our options and will make a decision by next spring.
This is a very interesting thread. Some of you should also join the over 60's also. Give me 6 weeks and I'll start an over 65's and how to keep a horse on a gov't pension. boy, am I funny!
Hi Margaret - this is Margaret - do the physical therapy for yourself and your horse. I do reflexology once a month with accupuncture for my knees - the back needs lots of stretching. I tried shiatsu yesterday for the first time and got a good deal of relief for one of my hips that keeps me from riding for more than one to two hours at a time. Have you tried massage for your horse? You would be amazed what that can do when done on a regular basis. Take the course yourself if possible (Jodi Pendry is reasonably priced and short) and you can work on your horse yourself. I ride a gaited horse and have a cushy saddle with lots of padding in the seat - also shaped properly for a woman - no seams to rub. Always stretch before you ride and learn to stretch out your horse also. Check that saddle or look into a very good saddle pad. I first got arthritis in my 30's and my Dr told me to "keep moving" - great advice! I'm hitting 60 this year and have no thought of stopping riding.
Only when you can nolong get in the saddle, keep it up drugs for you and drugs and good fitting tack for the horse. have a great riding day.
I am 63 now. My knees can give me lots of grief. I started taking omega 3, 6, and 9 recently and also high potency B complex. I haven't felt this good in years. Don't ever quit riding if it is your passion. They might as well shoot me if I have to give up horses.
I am a new 50+ return to the horse world member on this web site and very thankful for all of your comments and advice.
Five years ago, my husband & I would go for walks and I could not make it up the hills for the arthritis pain in my knees and hip. He would say "you have to walk through it" and my comment would be "you just don't get it."
Then I decided to do the 60km breast cancer walk with our daughter. I would go out and train/walk for about
30 min. - 1 hr most days.
Guess what my hubby was right. I did walk past most of the pain.
When I returned to the horse world 4 yrs ago, I bought a 2yr old gelding and have been trying to ride and work with him for 2 yrs now. I rode western, then changed to english (that really hit the knees) then recently returned to western after buying a 7yr trained horse. What a difference. Like night and day. I do alter my stirrups if I am riding for any length of time. Start where comfortable then lower by one notch and it takes the pressure off the knee joint.
A younger rider has taken over my 2yr old, which I also had some problems with and discovered it was his western saddle that did not fit properly. I got a saddle fitter to fit him with his english saddle and had a massage therapist work on him and also show me how to massage him. It really does help the horse.
I like the comments on the ground work as well I think that helps you connect with your horse.
I did feel like you Margaret and was thinking maybe this was crazy as my time in life.
Thankfully, I have found a horse that I am comfortable with and have hit the tread-mill and walking trails once again.
Really AWESOME! You go girl!
I really believe our frame of mind is so improved with our horse time
that our bodies function better.
Horses should be tax deductible as a health treatment. don't ya think?...
Some days if I can't go see my horse, I watch a little video segment and that will get me thru.
Shirley
Hey young Spring Chick..... I am 60 and going strong. Reading most of the replies to your question, I agree, DO NOT stop. When you admit defeat, you have lost the battle. My ole mare of 25 had bad arthritis and I made up a batch of medicine for her. Of course she never got over it, but her joints got so much better. Everyone that knew her, could tell she was so much better.

It was (now I do not remember the spelling so stick with me) chondrite (something like that) and MSM that I bought at Tractor supply. Ready made was very expensive and what I made was less than a dollar a day, and around 5,000 mg if I remember right (been 3 years since have not done it).

If it worked for a horse, human version bought in wal-mart should work also. Keep the joints active. Unless your doctor gives you a real good reason to give up, DO NOT. Power of mind does help also. Read or get the DVD The Secret.

But do not give up. Advise of an old man in Brazil, and I will not throw in the towel yet. Never.
Old man in Brazil at 60?~~ not. Throw in the towel at 60????? I would hope not!
Just keep on Horsen Around and you'll stay young...
Just keep on tickin with your ever-ready batteries.

Back in the saddle!
Shirley.
I have some food allergies which make me creaky. When I am fairly strict about not eating wheat I am much better. I am not a celiac, just allergic to wheat. Allergy testing, or elimination diets can tell one if one is allergic and if not eating/drinking the offender does help. When one goes back on the allergen the symptoms come back with gusto. The pattern of an elimination diet is to go off say tomatoes for a couple of weeks then try them in the diet for a few days and see if you have any symptoms. If you do not, try another common allergen, wheat or shellfish or milk. Try only one at a time and then replace it in your diet.
My accupuncturist does a technique that is suppose to help desensitize the body from food allergies. We did this with wheat products and a couple of other foods that I didn't tolerate very well. It helped me..

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service