My horse, being the former 2nd level dressage horse he is, has always been made to go quite forward in the canter. Now, I have the task of trying to teach him to slow it down a bit for Western riding. Not the sleepy lope of WP horses, just slow enough to enjoy the ride.

Any tried and true suggestions?

Thanks.

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is interesting to me that much of what you say here for dressage traing goes right along with how the Parelli program starts all horses. Seat, legs, reins.,,,in that order Maintain same gate until directed to do different and to rely little on the reins
Horse-rider-saddle-saddle pad-reins
Seat first-legs second -reins & hands third
Those are the beginning basics for most any good riding.
'Sit to Trot' has a good point that I share when she mentions 'the western trainers who have
incorporated western training and dressage training and have gotten a beautiful result.'
And then Splash says "A dressage horse is very responsive to seat cues" and my western~ Parelli trained horse is also. Splash also says "a very very relaxed seat is going to be key" How true this is, It is not possible to do anything with a tight butt. It's irritating.
At my training barn I heard over and over the way to slow a canter/lope is 'half-halts'
I wish you the best in your transitions.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service