I'm just wondering what interesting non-horsey books people are reading in their "spare" time. I'm working my way through "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, for the second time. I love this book and highly recommend it. What are you reading, or have you read, that you'd recommend?

Views: 656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have recently started reading "The Horse Boy" by Rupert Isaacson. Very interesting account of his journey to Mongolia with his wife and autistic son, looking for healing among the shamans and horsepeople of the steppes. Pretty moving stuff ...
I just finished reading "The Horse Boy" by Rupert Isaacson, which is about a family's journey into Mongolia to see shamans who might heal their autistic son. I blogged about it, if you'd like to see if the book looks like something you'd be interested in. Plus, the blog post includes a bunch of links to extras.

I'm now reading a David Sedaris book recommended by a friend. "Me Talk Pretty One Day," a book of essays, gpt its title supposedly from a story he wrote about French classes he once took. I haven't gotten that far into the book. It's very funny. .
I'm reading "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian" by Robert E. Howard. This is the ORIGINAL Conan, reprinting the original stories. Great colorful writing, no one writes like this today. There are 3 volumes to this series, with the stories printed in the order that Howard got them printed in the magazines. Wonderful escape fantasy.
When were these stories written originally? Among my favourite authors are Taylor Caldwell, Kenneth Roberts and Anya Seton -- all now out of print but who wrote fabulously descriptive historical fiction in the mid 20th century. Beautifully lyrical writing that really paints a picture of the era they're depicting, making you feel like you're right there. A whole other kind of fantasy writing ...
The first story was written in 1932 for the magazine Weird Tales. This is heroic fantasy, with one of the greatest heros in the genre, a barbarian hero with his own moral code. I have happily been reading this the last few days, as I said before NO ONE writes like this any more.
Stephanie Meyer who wrote the Twighlight series of books also wrote a book called "The Host" I highly recommend it for any fiction readers.
Hey Dorothy,
This is a Great Idea!!

I LOVE to read, and I Always have at least one book that I’m reading, but it’s not at all unusual for m to have 2 or 3 books that I’m in the process of reading.

Let’s see …..
Right now I’m reading “The Slight Edge Philosophy” by Jeff Olson
Essentially it’s about what it takes to succeed in life, and why some do, and some don’t.
Here’s an excerpt
http://www.topachievement.com/slightedge.html
It teaches the value of “Simple Daily Disciplines” and so far I REALLY Like what I’m reading here … and Yup, I‘d Recommend This Book!!

I’m also reading “Neither Wolf Nor Dog” by Kent Nerburn
If you’re interested in the philosophies of Native American Culture and Spirituality,
You’ll like this book.
But I think it might be to “dry” for the tastes of most.

~ Barby
Hey Barby ... that Slight Edge Philosophy sounds very interesting. I agree with what he's saying to a point ... however I believe it may be a little more complicated than that -- but that's a discussion for another time. Knowledge is power, however, and I may just take him up on his challenge to listen to educational CDs in the car while I'm driving around. Talk radio can only offer so much ... and then there are all the commercials ... oy! I do listen to a lot of good music -- feeds the soul -- so I am supporting the dreams of others to a degree. I'm hoping some of that comes back to me ...;-)

I've never read any of the philosophies of the Native American Culture and Spirituality, but am open to it. I may just look up that book. I'm really into spiritual and uplifting-type books.

Thanks for sharing ... Dorothy :-)
...*laughing while waving to Dorothy*...
Yup ... I Sincerely agree ... "Life" is Never THAT simple!!
.. well ... on the other hand...
...*thinking about this* ... maybe it is!!
Maybe it's we 2-leggeds that complicate the dickens out of Every Single Little Thing.
hmmmmm ... I don't know .... suddenly pops into my mind the Esaten Philosophies that speak of "too many minds" (can't think of the Japanese word for it just now ... I need More coffee ) .. but in essence that our mind goes too many directions at one time, as opposed to clearing all the mental clutter so that our mental path is more clear .. more fucussed
..... *laughing* .... Ohhhhh sorry ... launching off into space there!!

Dorothy ... seriously, if you're at all interested in Native American Spirituality, but not really aquainted with our culture ... Don't Start with “Neither Wolf Nor Dog” by Kent Nerburn
I'll message you with a few suggestions for "better" first reads ... *wink*
~ Barby
That sounds good ...

D :-)
Jodi Picoult's books lately and can't wait to indulge in her most recent one ( I am making myself wait as need to revise to my next coaching exam in a few weeks). Love everything by Nicolas Evans too (The Loop, The Divide, Smoke Jumper), wish he wrote more!
Wiola ...
there just aren't enough hours in the day to get Everything that needs doing, done, Is there.
....*frustrated sighs* .....
~ Barby
by the way ... how's the coaching exam coming along???

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service