By Rose Reisman
- Enjoy this classic comfort food without the fat and calories. I often make it and freeze individual servings in plastic containers-they're perfect for the children's lunches. It's their favorite pasta dish, and when they prefer it to any of the boxed versions, you know their taste buds are healthier!
Feel free to add some vegetables, such as green peas, diced bell peppers or carrots.
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 3/4 cups elbow macaroni
1 1/3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/3 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs
1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups shredded light cheddar cheese
2 tsp water
6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Spray an 8-cup casserole dish with cooking oil.
2. Whisk the flour, stock and milk in a saucepan until smooth. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes or until hot and thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese, 3 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese and the mustard. Cook until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the macaroni until tender but firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain. Toss with the cheese sauce. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
4. Combine the breadcrumbs, the remaining 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, oil and water in a small bowl and stir until well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, until the filling is hot and the top is golden. Garnish with the parsley.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 14 g
Fat 4.5 g
Saturated Fat 2g
Carbohydrates 40 g
Cholesterol 8.4 mg
Sodium 380 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 24 minutes
Make Ahead: Make sauce up to 2 days in advance and refrigerate. Dilute with a little water before adding to cooked pasta and baking.
ROSE REISMAN is an author, health and wellness consultant, caterer, public speaker, media personality, and mother of four children. For more articles like this one, please visit http://www.artoflivingwell.ca/