I have a mare who is stall kicking and causing injury to her legs. It has been suggested to use "mac boots" on her feet to help absorb the shock of her kick. I have never used these before. Does anyone have any experiences with them and any suggestions on how to best use them??! Thanks, Janet

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have used the 'mac boots', & found them very useful, but my understanding is that they are not to be left on 24/7. When you yourself get new boots, you don't go on a 4hr.hike, so to the horse. Put them on for an hour & let your mare walk freely around the paddock/field? .....then take them off. After 4/5 days, increase the time, till they are on for the better part of a day. I've been on rides 5,6 or more hrs. & the horse does just fine. If you don't have wrap, use the top of a pair of old socks. cut off from the heel down. Once they're 'broken in' they shouldn't rub. Once your own boots are 'broken' in, you still don't get blisters? I s your mare used to having her back end touched? I used to have a TB that kicked her tail, (onIy in the stall) braided it & tied it up, no more kicking!
Thank-you so much for all the info. This is very useful. Very interesting about your mare and her tail. I will try braiding it and see if there is a difference. I have not seen her kick at her tail, but that would be an easy fix!
Thanks again!! Janet

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service