I am looking to buy a horse and I found an Arabian that I think is a good fit for me. I would like to eventually show her in Hunter Under Saddle classes. My question is whether she would be judged poorly because she isn't a Thoroughbred or Warmblood. Would an Arab get the same consideration in the ring as one of the bigger breeds? Does anyone have an Arab that they use for hunter shows?

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I worked at an arabian farm for a while and i ride and show hunter/jumper thoroughbreds/warmbloods. from what i have noticed is in the arab. curcit you would do amazing but it is going to be very, very tough in anything other than the arab. curcit.
I've competed both on the Arabian Hunter/Jumper circuit and the Open (Trillium and A) circuits in Ontario, Canada with my Arabians and partbred Arabians (National Show Horses ie Saddlebred crosses).

I've done exceedingly well on the Arabian circuit including one National Champion and a couple of Top Tens. On the Open circuits I had to be a tad bit better than the other breeds. That's not to say that you cannot be competitive but in the Hunter ring you had to be spot on for the striding, the "look" of the jump and the movement in the hack divisions. I had a couple of placings in largish classes, never won but then I was there to school not compete seriously for year end placings.

I know of plenty of AngloArabians, partbred Arabians and purebred Arabians that have done exceedingly well but they looked and moved (jumping and flat) like non-Arabian breeds.

You can however kick butt in Jumper classes on the Open circuit as it is how well you clear the jumps in the fastest speed that counts. Yep, had a couple of wins here.

I found that most people didn't have an immediate bias to Arabians or Arabian blood but to the Arabian owner who came onto the Open circuit with a chip on their shoulder or an air of superiority. If you talk to other coaches and riders, congratulating good rounds, inquiring about their horses, etc it stands you in good stead. But this is true when you take a "non-traditional" breed onto any circuit - dressage, eventing, reining, hunter, .......
I have an arabian saddle bred cross and he has won, so don't worry about it. You will have the same chance as anyone in the classes

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service