My Mare had an abscess that was drained Monday afternoon - the procedure was done by a vet and it was done quickly and without much disturbance to the hoof - the abcess was close to the white line towards the half-back end of the left fron foot - it seems iot was caused by poor-triniming during shoeing - she is doing much better but is still ahving difficulty moving around - she is placing weight on the foot and standing o it as before she would not - any idea on how long before she fully recovers - Im giving her 2-3 grams of Bute every day but not comfortable extending the Bute for much longer as its been a week already -

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dioes anyone know if the use of ISOXSUPRINE helps in treating abscess - the drug is supposed to increase blood flow - does it help in allowing more blood to flow in the laminate area and therefore prevents other injuriers while having an abscess ??? there is controversy among vets as the use of this drug as some think it helps with laminatis - does it help prevent because of more flow ???
Please read and take note for future reference - the farrier came this afternoon and brought along a horse owner who has purchased some expensive horse care equipment - this person brought a heat sensing machine that reads and shows the temperature and the heat pockets in the hoof - we were able to determine that the abscess was towards the sole of the foot and the drainage that took place on Monday was just part of the bigger abscess - the other very disturbing thing we discovered is that the left front hoof where the abscess was had a temperature of 100 F and the right front foot 99 F - the back feet were only 96 F which is normal - guess Im lucky after all because this person offered to put the mare at his place for a nominal fee where she was placed on an ice-cold machine that covers both her front legs-feet - we treated her for one hour and lowered the foot temprature considerably ( same as placing the feet on ice but much quicker and efficient ) my guess is the vet was not aware of the severity of the problem - but as you can tell I've been very concerned during the last few days - for the next few days the mare will be treated in the ice-horse three times a day in order to maintan a low foot temperature - my guess and everyones elses is that she could have easily foundered if not treated in this manner tonight - thank God for persistance and perseverance -

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service