I'm transitioning my TB out of shoes. We won't be attempting any shows until next year, but he still may be tender on some types of ground/footing. In the interim, I'll be using hoof boots, but obviously those won't fly in the show ring. I want to hear how others deal with this problem. Glue-ons maybe? We'll be doing both dressage and hunter/jumper.

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I guess it is a bit rude of me to state as law thathorses look more polished when shod. But my point still stands that theres nothing wrong with having him shod for a show, just so that a tender step does'nt disqualify you.

Right now it sounds like you really just need to get your horse comfortable. I am terribly sorry about the abscess. Is it coming out the bottom, Or at the hairline?

Epsom salt soaks, and packing it with ichthammol under a disposable diaper & wrapped well with duct tape has worked for me in the past.
Kinni P, I'm sorry to hear that your horse is fighting an abscess. I don't know if there is anything that might be helpful/of interest in it, but in case you didn't see the abscess care thread started by someone else fighting an abscess, here it is:

http://www.barnmice.com/forum/topics/abscess-care

I hope that you horse feels less sore soon.
Thanks guys! I've attempted soaking with a dishpan. He acted like he wanted to crawl under the stall door. Yesterday, I tried a soaking boot. As soon as I put his foot down and he felt the moisture, he fell over. Luckily, neither of us were injured. I think I'll wait a day or two before I try it again. He has an abusive past and needs some time to adjust to new things.
I think it's going to come out near the top through a quarter crack. I can see the hoof wall buckling there.
Can you wrap the foot or is that too stressful for him? maybe instead of dunking it in hot salt water you can make a poultice by soaking some cotton batting in the hot epsom salt water. and then pack it into the sole of the foot, and wrap it with my diaper and duct tape technique, it holds up really good out in the pasture but you do have to let the foot breathe every so often so it does'nt get thrushy or soft.

Well I'd love to stay and offer more advice but I have to go. the suns going down and Im off the grid up here in the mountains.

I know someones gonna throw tomatoes at me, but if he were my horse I would keep him on 1/2 a bute twice a day, and not ride him until he feels good again.

Good luck, Bye!
I am fortunate to have a horse with excellent feet (typical of his breed), so I don't plan to ever shoe him. Obviously I would if he ever were to require shoes because his feet needed help, but I don't think that he ever will. *crosses fingers* Many people whom I know with the same breed of horse (Canadian Horse) also show without shoes (in a variety of disciplines).

What is required in the way of 'footwear', and how quickly a previously shod horse will adapt to going without shoes, does vary widely between individual horses and various activities. My friend's horse adapted quite quickly (even more so than expected) after having his shoes pulled, and he now does dressage and goes hacking barefoot. She modified his activity (light work) for a few months and gradually increased it, and he remained sound.

I don't agree that a shod horse looks any more 'polished' than a horse with well-maintained unshod hooves.

Hehe. Kinni P, I also "gauge the relative coolness of horse happenings" by what my boyfriend actually observes. :)
My horse has been barefoot since 2002. At first he was a little tender on large blue stone. I rode him in boots on the trails. After all these years, I can ride him just about anywhere on any kind of footing and he is fine. We have shown dressage barefoot, done trails, rode in small bluestone arenas. It just takes time and you have to be patient but if your horse has good feet it will be worth it. Glue ons might work if weather permits.
No mater tossing here! I do give him B-L on the bad days. He's off the track though and I suspect ulcers, so I don't want to make his tummy hurt on top of everything else. I haven't ridden him in quite awhile now. The barefoot trim had already been scheduled when he got himself caught in the electric fence. That left a nice big hole in his hock that had to heal. The shoes came off just as he was becoming rideable again. I am so going to have my hands full when he finally gets under saddle! It's been nearly three months. We'll have to start back at the beginning again-- 30 min of walking figure 8s. Look out FEI--here we come! :P
I feel so bad for you and your horse, yeah I take the bute suggestion back if you suspect an ulcerated stomach lining. I really have no Idea what you do for that. I've never known anyone or had a horse with a stomach ulcer.

I wish you the best let me know when you get back in the saddle.
If you think he has ulcers and it is very possible if he is off the track then use Gastroguard or the generic of it on the market. It is expensive but well worth it.
It is very expensive. It's actually the same compound as Prilosec, which I've used on me. My experience with it was less than satisfactory. It managed my reflux as long as I was actively taking it, but when I stopped after two full rounds of it (I think it's a one month program), it was worse than it had ever been. It took more than a year for my system to return to normal. I know my experience isn't reflective of everyone's, but I can't help but have reservations about using it. That said, it's not off the table, but I'm trying to manage it through nutrition and a buffer (dolomite) in his mineral lick. So far, things are going well, but then he hasn't been asked to do any work in some time.
Hi, Kinni P, I don't show, but I do gymkhana, trails on lava cap and mountains and forests and team sorting, all with barefoot horses. I can't remember the last time I got shoes on a horse, It has been over 5 years for sure. My horse's hooves seem so tough, I don't even need to use easy boots, or anything on them. I do feed alfalfa/grass mix hay and feed Strategy, I make sure they have mineral and plain salt blocks available and lots of fresh water. I don't ever have a sick or lame horse. (I guess I should knock on wood) My vet and trimmer said to keep doin' whatever I am doin', BTW.
That's super Marti! Stories like yours are the reason I'm giving this a go. Of course, the orange Renegade boots I bought are so cute, I may have to keep using them for fashion's sake. ;)

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service