Please wish us luck in Melbourne for Tomorrow, In 1983 we had a massive fire that cost 75 lives and 100's of homes. Our forcast is 43 celcius and extreme winds. Our fire authority has put out a warning that this is the worst conditions since that terrible day. I was 12 at the time and everywhere you looked there was ash, smoke and the skies were orange, I am very nervous. We will be unrugging, plaiting horses tails today and making sure every horse is in the safest paddock possible.

Views: 771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are fires still burning out of control, but no more homes have been lost. The death toll is still rising, but more slowly now. I am moving my horses back on thursday. Hopefully the worst is over. My families homes survived but friends lost everything. I can't wait till we don't smell smoke anymore. Thank you for your concern
Sadly, my friend near Melbourne lost 5 of her 8 horses to the brush fires a few days ago. She is thankful that her home is still standing and says that many others are far worse off than she is.
Sending jingles to all of you...
I am so sorry to hear of your friends loss. I am so lucky. A horse I was going to look at before I bought my other boy, only a couple of weeks ago, died. If he had not have been competing at Geelong, I probably would have bought him and he would have survived. I hope your friend is coping mentally. Her guilt must be enormous. Please give her a hug from me. xxx
There's a powerpoint presentation of Bruno Torf's wooden garden in Marysville being circulated through the Internet right now. I received it yesterday. The presentation highlights his beautiful wood carvings that ornamented his tropical garden which, I believe, was open to the public. Sadly this lovely garden with all its wood sculpture no longer exists ... another victim to a fire that wiped out this whole town. All that remains are the photos ... Joni Mitchell perhaps said it best ... "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got til it's gone ..." Blessings to all recovering from this awful tragedy.
Oh No! I saw those carvings this week via email also, and was so impressed, I am an artist too (but not to that degree of talent!).
And I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's horses Linda. And glad to hear Rebecca managed to get your horses out in time. I can only imagine how upsetting this whole situation must be for all of you in Australia. I've been watching this thread closely, to follow along. It is a difficult read, so being in the middle of this... I have a friend who lost her home last summer to forest fires here in Nova Scotia. It can take quite some time to get your life back.
I hope this will end very soon so you can all get back on the road to recovery!!
The death toll has reached 209. All the fires are within containment lines at the moment. There has been people trying to claim payments, saying family members have died, that have not and property developers trying to buy cheap land. This has certainly bought out the best and worst in people. Overall I am very proud to be Australian. My teenage sons donated their whole weeks wages to the relief fund. They don't earn much from their part time jobs and I was very proud of them. My horses have come back and my poor 5 year old thoroughbred has lost a lot of weight. We desperately need a lot of rain. Victoria is in a huge drought, but the authorities are very concerned that what water we have left in our catchments, will be contaminated by ash. The support I have recieved from around the world has helped enormously. I wish I could let everyone who has lost everything, that the rest of the world cares. Thank you
Today is a National day of mourning. The death toll will rise, they found more groups of bodies yesterday. Please, everyone say a quiet prayer for all the lives lost 2 weeks ago.
There has been serious fire threat warnings for townships, for tomorrow. These are the fires still burning form 2 weeks ago. One town has 2 fires heading for it tomorrow. People are evacuating tonight. Please don't let it start again.
Wish us luck for Friday. High temps and winds again. Hopefully the containment lines will hold.
Wishing you luck!!!
Lots of luck to you all.
Today is the worst fire danger since black Saturday. Temps up to the 40's celcius and high winds. The horses tails are plaited again and rugs, fly veils off. Hopefully this will be the last bad day of the season. Eveyone is so sick of living on edge. Gum trees are dropping leaves and branches (gum trees don't drop their leaves), they have had so little water that the trees are doing this to survive. Gum trees contain a lot of oil, which is why they burn so well. The whole state is tinder dry, any spark and the area will go up. There is a cool change due later today with lightening, but no rain, so the lightening strikes could start fires. We have not had any decent rain in months.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service