I am really into natural horsemanship stuff, but the problem is I just don't know how to start. I can't ride because I just got my plaster off from breaking my wrist from my horse buckin me off. So what is the first thing I should do on the ground. I might have to wait for a while because of my wrist. Could you please give me some idea's ?????????

Views: 427

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Krystal, I have an easy game for you.... and I've worked on it for years... now, with my clicker my game is working but for long years it did not work.... until my game worked, I would not ride my horse... it is easy and complicated all at the same time..... it causes an invisible string between you and your horse and you can do it even if you are hurt and healing your wrist.... it is a game played at liberty...... I call it the eye game.... with your horse in the middle, ask him to keep his eyes on you until you can walk around him in a complete circle and he keeps his eyes on you but moves his hips around with his front legs still..... :) how you achieve the result is between you and your horse...... it is individual... but the result is the best connection of joinup that you and he will have.. it is the beginning of moving forward.... good luck and tell me if you like the game if you try it.... :) Happy connecting.... JL
Jennifer, Would this be like moving the hiney in the porcupine & driving game that PP teaches or am I pictureing it wrong? With those you hold the front still and then move the hiney by pushing on the rump with your fingers or tap the air at the rump cueing them to move their hiney. Trying to get the jist of this game....
I wish I knew the games better that Parelli teaches as far as the names of each one.... :) but I betcha it's the same game.... with my clicker, whenever Oliver gives me a glance, I can click at him now... he is really paying attention to me..... I just never wanted to ride without that connection of trust and respect..... but with the game I'm implying, you can either get close to him and push his hip over.... maybe that is for a different reason than my game... my game is to just make sure that he is paying attention to you... last summer my trainer was here and my girlfriend was practicing on my horse Toby to keep his attention... took her all summer to complete this game.... so my game is... with or without touching him... like from a distance of lunging..... at liberty.... will he keep his eyes on you for an entire rotation of you walking around him in a circle...... without the connection being broken... :) Oliver used to start scratching bugs, walking away, moving off, blowing me off...... now we are getting it with his ears forward, licking and chewing and him paying much much better attention.... :) My trainer says once you have that special bond and connection that I'm working on, this horse will walk through fire for me... :)
The moving the hiney exercise with both programs does sound like similar maneuvers with similar intent. The clicker training sounds interesting. Great to find something that is easing your minds and getting things fun so u r successful and feeling successful. May good energy stay with you.
Be sure to get and send pics of going through fire. I'm sure it's possible.
Last two rides we've done outside. They have gone very well, but I still need to work on my deeper breathing. The balance if feeling pretty good...better.
Leaving tomorrow for Parelli show which I love to do.
I got tickets today for the Road to the Horse show next February. Yeah! This year they are having Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox and Pat Parelli doing the training. I'm hyped for that! I've tried to get tickets the last two years and by the time I got around to looking at tickets they were sold out except for a seat here and there but even those were slim pickins. So then this year when I heard who was gonna be there it felt like this was the one we were meant to go to. Sometimes things just turn out for the best and this is one of those times for me.
Enjoy the week-end.
That games sounds really cool but what is a clicker and what sort??? hopefully I can give it a try soon. I am on holidays so I have 2 wks to do it AWESOME. now I can spend time with the ponies (well I should call them horses lol)

Have a great day

p.s. Shirely Charf is sort of like hay and grass together but mushed up. I feed it to the horses for hard feed. There are all kinds of ones (I think) but we have 2 over here at my place called lucerne charf and I think grassy charf.

Hopefully that makes sense I am not very good at explaining stuff lol

ok bye :)
Hello Krystal, the clicker is just the methold I use, it might work for you and maybe something else will but for a dollar fifty at petco you can buy a clicker that they sell.... :) it just makes a noise is all.... my trainer doesn't use it but he has my horse looking at him the whole time he walks around in a circle around him... he pops him hard on the tail if he doesn't pay attention after asking, asking again sterner and then really letting oliver know... I'm tired of doing that and it doesn't work for me anyway, so I tried something else... ... so that is why I say there are a multitude of ways to do the exercise, you have to choose, as a trainer of your own horse, which way works best for you.... :) woohoo!!
You are excellent at explaining stuff.
thanks Shirley...
Hey could do yous please help me Juke has a cut on the pastern just above his hoof. I have cleaned it with warm salty water and have put some honey on it. I ws thinking of doing that everyday 2 times a day is there anything else that I can do ?????? we think he did it from the wired fence because there is alot of green grass on the other side which is the councils side and we have asked them a million times to mow it but they kept on saying no.

If you have any ideas could you please tell me :) thanx
Hi Krystal, How is Juke's pastern? I usually use commercial products on booboos and I have no idea what things you have available. A natural type product that we might use would be Epsom salt. I have not heard of useing honey before but my knowledge on wounds is very limited. I do know most at the barn would have a different opinion of what would be best. I have read about useing sugar on wounds but have not personally known anyone to actually use it. Your salty water solution is also something we would use to clean out a wound and it would also help with healing.
Hope it's healing well.
Juke is going great :) his wound is going great and healing well. I have been using salt water to clean it and have been using this spray called Cetrigen which makes the flies get off it. Thanx for asking and helping I really appreciate it :)
I did not read all the replies, but I think its a matter of preference in alot of horsemanship. I use bits and pieces of many trainers but feel that not ONE trainer I have met treat the horse how I want it treated. One thing i like about trainers is there is the simple rule: respect for horse and handler. I like horses to know WHOA that is the MOST important word. Then simple voice commands such as a cluk for walk, cluck cluck for trot, kiss for canter, and easy. I think the person who mentioned a horse spooking from behind and trampling you didn't realise that a horse beside you can easily do the same thing just side ways. Getting a horse to respect your space is key. If your horse is 2 full arm lengths away from you (approx a horse length), you are good. If a horse is that far away from you that gives you and the horse time to get away from a "spooking scene". I think maybe respect is more important than the "horse whispering" horsemanship, respect and space can be taught through parelli games (I don't like parelli), chris irwin (I did 2 years of working with a trainer that followed his methods), or a close by trainer. A DO NOT reccomend you just trying it without a trainer as a wrong movement could end up with you having more than a healing wrist, and loosing all respect and trust from the horse. the biggest thing I ahte seeing is when I horse realises it is bigger and stronger than its handler because that could (and usually does) mean trouble in the future.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service