Rider Fitness and Health Contest! Win a $500 Fitness and Health Makeover!

We’re giving away two $500 Fitness and Health Makeovers in the next two weeks!

What do you do to stay fit when you’re not riding? Do you have great exercise or nutrition tips? What are your fitness goals?

Post your fitness tips, goals, challenges and ideas below and you’ll automatically be entered in our draw to win a fabulous fitness package!

A $250 shopping spree at the new Omega Alpha Store, where you’ll be able to choose from the incredible world-class supplements for yourself, your horses and even your pets! Click here to check out the new store. Good luck to the winners - it will be hard to choose from so many great products!

A $125 personalized exercise plan created for you by Claire Moscone-Biafore, Osteopath and Certified Athletic Therapist. Claire works with members of Canada’s Olympic gold medal women’s hockey team and we are thrilled that she is offering her time to help our two winners.

A $125 personalized nutrition plan created for you by Patti Bartsch, M.A., Ph.D. Patti is the founder and owner of Naturally Unbridled, a holistic life and wellness coaching company specializing in equestrian women.

Patti holds a Ph.D. in Natural Health & Wellness, a master’s degree in Biology and two undergraduate degrees in Animal Science. She also holds a certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from Cornell University. A million thanks to Patti for providing your insights for our winners!

We’ll be doing our first draw on June 23, and the second on June 30.

We’ll be drawing from all the posts, so if you have lots of tips or fitness ideas to share, post as many times as you like. All of your posts will be included in our draws!

Good luck to all!!

*A quick thanks to Elizabeth Levitt, who intended to participate, but is unable to do so.

Views: 2499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I htink that is great! When I was a student, I did the same, and actually played basketball all the way through college, but that was 20 years ago now, and since I live far out in the country, team sports are not available to this older adult, unless I drive really far!
In a "healthy" attempt to lose weight, I attended a four month long Wellness Clinic some months ago. While there, I was exposed to a variety of exercise equipment and taught the proper way to use each one, to its full benefit. I learned how to eat better. I learned portion size and we even went on a shopping trip to show us how best to shop in a grocery store (shop the outer perimeter for all the good healthy stuff, stay away from the centre isles).
Before my accident, I liked running. Unfortunately, I will never run again, but I love walking. Consistency in doing any exercise is of key importance. I walk everyday; should I miss a day for any reason, I feel lousy. One must have good footwear for walking and comfortable clothing. Apply sunscreen, a broad brimmed hat and sunglasses in summer. A bottle of water and a cell phone are recommended items to take along with you.
I take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever I can. Stairs are still a challenge for me after my accident, but I hold on the the rail when going up or down the stairs and take my time to ensure I don't slip. That's a great exercise!
My biggest goal is to lose weight to a level that I can maintain, while staying healthy and fit. I'm not sure what the final outcome will be, but there's no sense in losing a huge amount of weight, if I can't maintain it. I've cut my food intake to a level that I feel comfortable with and know that I won't easily be tempted to cheat with food.

I play baseball when I am not riding.  It keeps me mentally alert. Those line drives keep you on your toes.  I also do Yoga for flexiblity. And try to do some strength training.

I recently moved off the farm and I miss the daily workout you get just doing the chores around the barn.  That would defintely be my preferred choice for a exercise program.

Cheers

I try to stay on top of my weight with eating foods on the low end of the gylcemic index, complex carbs, very little red meat, etc. and to keep well hydrated. Some times I am better at it than others.  :)   I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and find that I have to budget my energy as I tend to get tired. I ride my appy/clyde cross every day and show dressage with him.  I need to cross train with some low impact activities but I find that I just plain run out of time and energy as I work full time 5 days a week and spend 4 hours a day at the barn as well.  My challenge is that I try to keep active as I feel so much better when I am but know I could be in much better core shape which in turn would make me feel even better. 

Hi Maureen!

I ride, do my barn chores, and work full time daily as well. My days typically start at 5:00 am and end at 8:00 pm, and with all the activity I get during the day between chores, riding, and running around the building I work in, I feel that it is often enough exercie for me! Most riders do not do their own chores or maintain their own farm, and all that activity makes a difference! I once read an article about how many calories you burn for each barn chore, and just vigorously groooming a horse burns lots of caories! Add 3 horses to the mix and daily grooming will even do a lot for you!

I walk the dog 40 minutes every morning...good for him and good for me.  Those big sad eyes staring at me expectantly are great motivators..and make it hard not to go.

Pilates! It makes your core SO much stronger. I noticed an immediate difference if how my horse carried itself after I started! There is a youtube channel called blogilates that a pilates instructor posts lots of workout videos on. All you need is a yoga mat in front of your computer and your good to go!

Here is a link to the channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates?blend=1&ob=5
Thank you, Nicole!!!

I live in Montana in a very rural area, and the closest gym is 30 minutes away, so I live for my Kelly Coffey-Meyer workout videos.  With a farm to run, a 7-yo daughter and five horses to ride, her 30 Minutes to Fitness videos are perfect for me with their use of weights, cardio and floor exercises, getting a full workout in 30 minutes.  Jillian Michaels has a few too, but I prefer Kelly's.  I would LOVE to do some Pilates, but so far the videos I've gotten are a little confusing so I haven't pursued it.  I would love to have a personal session or two with a trainer to help me build my weak spots and make sure I am performing exercises correctly.  I used to run, but, at almost age 50, my joints won't let me anymore, so I walk and skip on my days between weights.

I think this contest is a really good one, as I've been reading other replies, and they also give me some ideas on how to improve my fitness so I'm in better balance with my horses.  : )  It seems the older I get, the harder it is to stay in shape!

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service