Rider Fitness and Health Contest! Win a $500 Fitness and Health Makeover!

We’re giving away two $500 Fitness and Health Makeovers in the next two weeks!

What do you do to stay fit when you’re not riding? Do you have great exercise or nutrition tips? What are your fitness goals?

Post your fitness tips, goals, challenges and ideas below and you’ll automatically be entered in our draw to win a fabulous fitness package!

A $250 shopping spree at the new Omega Alpha Store, where you’ll be able to choose from the incredible world-class supplements for yourself, your horses and even your pets! Click here to check out the new store. Good luck to the winners - it will be hard to choose from so many great products!

A $125 personalized exercise plan created for you by Claire Moscone-Biafore, Osteopath and Certified Athletic Therapist. Claire works with members of Canada’s Olympic gold medal women’s hockey team and we are thrilled that she is offering her time to help our two winners.

A $125 personalized nutrition plan created for you by Patti Bartsch, M.A., Ph.D. Patti is the founder and owner of Naturally Unbridled, a holistic life and wellness coaching company specializing in equestrian women.

Patti holds a Ph.D. in Natural Health & Wellness, a master’s degree in Biology and two undergraduate degrees in Animal Science. She also holds a certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from Cornell University. A million thanks to Patti for providing your insights for our winners!

We’ll be doing our first draw on June 23, and the second on June 30.

We’ll be drawing from all the posts, so if you have lots of tips or fitness ideas to share, post as many times as you like. All of your posts will be included in our draws!

Good luck to all!!

*A quick thanks to Elizabeth Levitt, who intended to participate, but is unable to do so.

Views: 2499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have an exercise challenge:

My lower back gets quite stiff when I've been sitting.  So when I stand I'm hunched over until it releases and then I feel fine.  I ride a stationary bike a fair bit and am hunched over (not right over but about 45 degrees) while I do it.  Could that be the cause of my back issues?  I did notice that when I recently took a break from biking that my back seemed better.

HI Gary,

As a physical Therapist, I think I could have an answer to all of your questions which requires a serious conversation via IM sometime.  My best guess, without knowing any other info, is that you have a problem with that alignment of your sacrum and or pelvis...more specifically, the sacroiliac joint.  Your symptoms are common for that kind of problem, espeically riders, and I specialize in treating riders. With further conversation, I could probably hook you up with the tools you will need to find the best kind of physical therapist for your needs in your location, unless you live near me, and I could treat you! I live on the NY/MA border.  You may also have the beginnings of a disc bulge.

I have a nutrition challenge:

I love soup.  But every soup that I buy has huge amounts of sodium. I don't want to even think about how much sodium is in a pho soup!

Are there any good soups (store bought only) that have low sodium but still taste good?

I love to hit the gym after work and before riding. I like to do the elliptical to start out the work out and then a lot of stretching with free weights and balancing exercises. More cardio is good for me right now so that is what I need to keep working on until I can get to my goal weight and the right muscle Im looking to achieve. After that I will maintain but keep doing a combination of cardio, resistance and weight training along with eating a balanced diet that makes sense for me.

Well I have a fake Horse an equicizer that I have been working on faithfully all winter.The equicizer has been excellant for improving my balance and streghtening my core. All this winter into spring I was able to ride my work horse in a bosal bareback in the snow. Normally not a big deal but age is not on my side.To motivate and inspire myself I have the help of others in a thread called conditioning for 2011.This is on another horse forum.We post pics and do a blog of our conditioning routinee. I have taken to reading this blog each day while having my fruit smoothie and before my chores. It has given me hope and inspiration as we all go through the same hardships and delights. We have become a form of support system.I believe my outlook has noticeably improved and definetly my body.I am old and retired so anything that can improve my body with little cost is an excellant thing.lol
Would love to find about the condition 2011 site for the horse forum.  Can you share?
Beth I sent you a friend request. In it was where the thread is. I don't see why one can't do something here though might be a good thing. I found that putting in my input to the thread was as important as reading the thread. If there are more people interested in this let me know maybe we can set something up here.Can't tell you how much it has motivated me.My motivation can at times be elusive so this has helped me train and break 5 young warmbloods and still work my work horse.
My favourite type of exercise is definately walking my dog.  Not only is it a great activity but it is very relaxing and helps relieve stress!
As far as my nutrition goal that would be to not always reach for junk food when I feel like eating a snack.  I try to keep healthier things available to have around the house to nibble on.

Hot yoga: I find it great for stretching, after a long session of that I find I am alot more flexible in the saddle (test by reaching over saddle and touching toes)

I also try to run at least 3 times a week to keep my cardio up and speed up my metabolism

I never diet but I have always kept myself eating small portions and drinking protein smoothies in the morning with an egg in it, keeps you going on those long horse show days!

Going for a hack? instead of getting on your horse take him for a hike on foot! That way we both get a workout!

For me after 25 years of exercise, (and seeing leg warmers come and go and come again!!) variety in work outs to relieve boredom. Access to a gym with several locations means I can pick and choose classes to get in cardio and weight work outs. Running on the trails when I am shorter on time and having a good choice of work out videos at home means I can fit in a quick one hour work out without scaring other gym members with my halitosis and poor hygene................making my husband play tennis (with the promise of beer afterwards) and biking to the gym and grocery store...................an absolute must is great pumping music to keep the motivation up................and of course rewarding all my hard work with a cold glass of vino.

I am not 40 anymore so to keep myself fit, I use Pilates.  Every day (or almost) I do some stretches and I also take a class once a week.  Pilates has helped me enormously. 

Sanda Zarn

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service