I'm about to take the big plunge and breed my mare. I have thought it through carefully, had her checked by the vet and picked out an amazing stallion. Everything seems to be a go. I have never done this before and would love to hear about the experiences of others. I think I'm more nervous for her than I was when I had my own children.

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

Riley, Sorry to hear that things did not work out. I understand that breeding is always a crapshoot and there is always the possibility of things going wrong, either with the breeding itself or the resulting foal. Obviously, I do hope things go better with mine. Belle is at the breeders as of this evening.

I can certainly understand the not selling even though it probably would have been for the better. Belle & I have only been together for 5 years now and the bond is now almost magical at times.

Good luck with your boy. I do appreciate your thoughts and experience. I will have to keep in mind that if the resulting foal is not right for me, that it may be the better option to let it go.
I thought I'd give a quick update. Belle went to the breeders and was very cooperative, she apparently just adores the stallion. All went well with her going into a good heat. She was was back home and had her ultra sound. No baby. I think everyone else was more dissappointed than me - I try not to get too worked up in advance. She will have a follow up exam next week to see if she is producing follicles on her ovaries. If so then back to the breeders. If not then this will be the end of the road for breeding. Personally, I think she enjoyed her romantic getaway so much that she planned it this way so she could go back this month.
Well Sharon, Your solution conclusion that this is all part of Belle's romantic planning sounds very logical to me.
Well, we had a full heat, follicle was ready, off to the breeders with a very cooperative mare. She bred well and came out of heat quickly after her cover. Usually a good sign. Ultra sound #3 - not pregnant. Oh well. Even he vet is dissappointed - the more she works with Belle, the better she likes her, then again, maybe she just needs a new truck ;). I will think things over this winter and decide if we try one more time or just call it a day. Life is going to be very busy over the next year and a half, building our new home, barn etc so its fine either way.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service