Equestrian Canada: Megan Lane & Tina Irwin Dominate 2017 CDIO 3* FEI Nations Cup with Individual Gold Medals

Source:  News Release

Megan Lane & Tina Irwin Dominate 2017 CDIO 3* FEI Nations Cup with Individual Gold Medals

Ottawa, ON – Megan Lane of Loretto, ON and Tina Irwin of Stouffville, ON both earned Individual Gold Medals in the 2017 CDIO 3* Stillpoint Farm FEI Nations Cup on March 24 in Wellington, FL. 

After the Canadian Dressage Team earned the Gold Medal in the Nations Cup on March 23, the team members, consisting of Irwin and Lane, along with Jaimey Irwin of Stouffville, ON and Jill Irving of Moncton, NB went forward to perform their Freestyles for individual honours. 

Lane and Caravella (Contango x Riverman) a 16-year-old Dutch Warmblood mare she co-owns with her mother, Cathy, and sister, Kelsey earned Individual Gold after scoring 74.550% in the CDIO 3* FEI Grand Prix Freestyle, which was the highlight of the competition, taking place at night under the lights for an enthusiastic crowd of spectators. 

“Although we are competing at the top level, there is always so much to work on and she is a special horse to be sharing these exciting experiences with,” said Lane of Caravella, her long-time partner who has been with her from the Junior and Young Rider level all the way up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. “I am feeling more confident with Caravella with each month that goes by. I hope our story inspires more riders to pursue dressage." 

Reflecting on her Nations Cup experience overall, Lane said, “I was so fortunate to be part of such a strong team this year. The success of this week’s Nations Cup would not have been possible for me without the support of Deer Ridge and my sponsors, Albion Saddlery and Omega Alpha Equine.” 

Tina Irwin’s Individual Gold Medal came in the CDIO 3* FEI Intermediate I Freestyle aboard Laurencio (Laurentio x Donerhall), a 10-year-old Oldenburg gelding she co-owns with her husband, Jaimey Irwin. The duo scored an impressive 76.500% for the win, which secured their hat trick for the week, having also topped the CDIO 3* FEI Prix. St Georges and CDIO 3* FEI Intermediate I earlier in the week to lead Canada to the Team Gold Medal. 

“I feel quite amazed with what Laurencio and I have accomplished this past season,” explained Tina, who has had an idyllic season in Wellington, highlighted by earning the world’s highest small tour score on record for 2017 (78.708%) during week seven. “I am very excited for the future with this horse. He truly is a star and has all of the qualities that you need in a top competition horse.” 

Jaimey Irwin also landed on the individual podium, securing the Silver Medal with 73.575% in the CDIO 3* FEI Intermediate I Freestyle, partnered with Donnegal V (Johnson x Gribaldi), a nine-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding owned by Team Irwin Supporters Group. 

The podium was rounded out in the CDIO 3* FEI Intermediate I Freestyle by Esther Mortimer of Guatamala, who took the Individual Bronze Medal aboard Adajio. In the CDIO 3* FEI Grand Prix Freestyle, Shelley Francis of the United States earned the Individual Silver with Doktor. Fellow American, Lisa Wilcox was the Bronze medalist with Galant. 

Irving placed just off the podium, taking fourth (72.875%) in the CDIO 3* FEI Grand Prix Freestyle with Degas 12 (De Niro x Regazzoni), a 15-year-old Hanoverian gelding she owns with Windhaven Farm. 

For full results and further information, visit http://gdf.coth.com.

PHOTO – Megan Lane from Loretto, ON earned an Individual Gold Medal for her performance with Caravella in the CDIO 3* FEI Grand Prix Freestyle during the 2017 CDIO 3* Stillpoint Farm FEI Nations Cup on March 24 in Wellington, FL. 

PHOTO CREDIT - Susan J. Stickle

PHOTO – Tina Irwin from Stouffville, ON earned a hat trick in the small tour and an Individual Gold Medal for her win in the CDIO 3* FEI Intermediate I Freestyle aboard Laurencio during the 2017 CDIO 3* Stillpoint Farm FEI Nations Cup. 

PHOTO CREDIT – Susan J. Stickle

Views: 22

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service