Hi gang,
Just wondering, I have been considering the purchase of an 8.3hh shetland gelding for my kids to ride, but he is also trained to drive. Does any one know (or have a guess) what would be a comfortable amount of weight for him to pull? I have seen smaller minis pulling a single adult, but I would guess this guy's weight at about 300lbs, and he is a "little" stouter then your average mini.
I have never owned a small pony before and do not know what would be a good standard to judge such a thing by.
Thanks!
Rox

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

Hi , I believe the rough guess is 40 % of the horse or pony body weight is the rule of thumb. That include cart and harness weight I believe. Not sure about mini"s though.....I guess it would depend on whether is is road or field. Good luck, sounds like fun. Cathy
My boyfriend and I did combined driving with our 13hh welsh pony. He was able to pull over his own body weight (he is about 600lbs, our carriage is 400lbs, plus the weight of my boyfriend and myself) for more than 12km in hilly terrian and full out gallops through the hazards. We now drive a pair as we were a little worried on how much longer he could do this, but he never really seemed to have a problem! I would say that the shetland gelding should be able to easily pull its own weight as well, especially if its on level ground. It also depends on the carriage he will be pulling. A two wheeled vehicle puts a lot of weight on his back so he wont be able to pull quite as much. A four wheeled vehicle puts almost no weight on the back so he would be able to pull quite a bit more.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service