At some point all beginner riders have thier first fall. The fear of that fall can inhibit the riders growth for months or years to come. What are somethings that you found works to over come this fear.

I know that it takes ten falls to becoime a rider, as it takes 10 falls to psychologically able to get over it with ease. But I believe we can make this less if we provide the coping tools to young riders.

A few things that I found that work:
1) If the rider is relatively unhurt re-mount the horse and go to a simpler exercise that they have excelled at before
2) have the rider count forrwards and backwards from/to ten while they ride
3) remind them that they have ridden a hundred times before with no falls. Now they are good for another 100 rides.
4)Have them tell what they are going to tell thier friends about the fall...have them embelish the story and make it thier own cool tail they survived. Get them to be as creative as possible and make them feel like a hero for surviving! And how much more curageous they are to be back on in a flash
5) Remind them why they love to ride and have them talk about it. Have them tell it to the horse and talk to the horse out loud about what they fear now and what they would like the horse to do. Re-solidify their bond!

Do you have any other ideas that have worked for you?

Views: 64

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Karen,
I have always found with the intermediate riders that if you create a "frequent Flier" award type thing where you mark down every fall and at the end of the year give them a certificate or something inexpensive (a brush or something works great) they actually enjoy the fall!
Also with the real little ones that are just beginning, we have a purple sparkely cowgirl hat that they get to wear (over their helmet) when they come off and tell them that every good cowgirl falls at least 100 times before they become a professional, so they are on their way.
Any way to make it fun and not embarassing or scary (although some may think the purple hat is embarassing, the 6 year olds think its awesome!). I rarely have injuries with beginners, that comes later with my 3 day eventers...
Do any of you teach the emergency dismount to your beginners? I find this works great for the kids to learn how to get off a horse in an emergency. Also, teaching them to fall correctly, this is where our volters can really help. Gather the group together and have someone who knows volting to come in and demonstrate how to fall correctly. This builds enormous confidence in the beginners, mine are jumping off the ponies and the big horses and some of the kids are only 5 years old. They had no fear when they started and no fear now and I am confident should they find them selves falling off they will know how and not be afraid because they know what to expect. Also, lots and lots of praise at every step of the lesson.
We practice emergency dismounts with all our beginner riders and with the kids we turn it into a game. We take the horses out into the snow and practice falling off at first the kids are usually very apprehensive and a little scared but by the end they are laughing and having a blast they then soon realize that falling off isn't all that bad and know how to do it safely!
Thanks for your responces guys! We are compiling ideas and methods for a coaching book. I love the purple hat idea. I am looking for more on the psyclological skills you give to a rider to over come the fear and tenseness that comes after the fall. How do you make them feel good about riding again? How do you keep them brave as they once where? Emergancy dismounts work wonders but does not help the rider after the fall, if the dismount was not as graceful! All info is appreciated and I will let you know if it makes it into the book!
To answer your questions: how do you make them feel good about riding again? I guarantee they won't fall off again, in fact I will stake my reputation on it because the next horse they will use is one that I know inside and out and know from years of experience that the horse would hurt a soul. Plus I would set up the situation and environment to be perfectly safe (ie. in arena, no traffic, super reliable horse preferably older that will not go faster then a walk consistantly, bareback with a neck strap so they feel the warmth of the horse under them no saddle to confuse their connection with balance, once they are up just stand there I would be holding the lead rope they can have the reins and hold the wither lock, the idea is to remove all expectations other than getting back on the horse. They don't get back off until I see and feel a sense of calmness come upon them, usually at that point they want to walk a few steps, sometimes I will have side walkers just having a hand at their back or just near their body helps them to realize and get over their fear. Depending on the person this could take 20 minutes to several days. I also insist that they take at least 3 consecutive lessons of 1.5 hours each, usually by this point the rider is better than they were before the accident happened. How do you keep them brave as they once were? You don't, they become braver and more confident in themselves and what they can do. This goes for all ages. Unfortunately, riders will get mad and runaway placing blame there by not getting the opportunity to get over their fear. Ultimately the choice is theirs, I had a rider come off when the lungeline got caught under the horses tail, she said she was fine but wouldn't get back on (this is an indication of problems further along the lack of willingness to try again and make it work). I never saw her again and still don't know if she is riding to this day. Through that I learned to not let the rider go until they get back on the horse, but if they are adamant there is not a lot we can do, except follow up.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service