Hi,
I would like to understand a bit about this type of riding. It seems as though aids are given through the hands on the neck, as well as the seat and legs, but at what point in the horse's training do you feel comfortable enough to try this? And what do you do (other than go flying) if the horse bolts?

Views: 202

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Barbara, there is a great deal of trainig that goes into a Bridless riding demonstration. All manouvers are first taught with a bit and bridle with direct reining. As the hose improves his/her skills the go to a neak rein(still a bit and bridle). Our western horses are taught to carry their frame with little or no pressure from the bit and bridle as they advance in their training. In all of this the leg aids are also taught. So bridless riding is a natural progression. Most bridless riders still use a neak rope that gives them control. You would have to be VERY confidant in your horse to go without a neak rope. Please let me know if this answers your question or if you have further questions.
Hi Gail,
Thanks for the great overview. So the theory is probably very similar to my dressage riding - but better, as I can't imagine any of us taking off the saddle and bridle and cantering around! Even with a neck rope, if the horse bolts, I guess it's just too bad for you?!
It would probably be fascinating for a reining rider to do a clinic with dressage riders and vice-versa. There are probably a lot of ideas one could take from the other discipline.
Reining is the dressage of the western world. We do many of the manouvers you do...with a different frame and speed.
If you are open to learning new things(and it sounds like you are) you would love the Josh Lyons Symposium we are hosting April 18-20. There will be a trailer loading demo., and unbroke horse demo, and riding demos. A great educational and entertaining weekend.
Chech out our websit at www.fivestarranch.on.ca for more info or just ask me more questions.
Talk to you soon.
Thanks Gail,
I'm going to tell my friend and maybe we'll head over there!
Will you be taking any videos? I'm sure everyone here would be extremely interested in seeing some of them.
I will be posting pics, but seeing as Josh has a line of dvd's I may not be able to post video. If you come down make sure you find me and introduce yourself. It would be great to meet you.
Thanks Gail! I agree that he may not want videos posted. Who knows, maybe he will want you to post a clip from one of his DVD's in advance of the event!

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service