2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival Opens Competition Nick Skelton Returns to the Winners Circle in $8,000 G&C Farm 1.45m Jumpers

Source:  WEF News Release/Jennifer Woods

Wellington, FL - January 12, 2011 - The 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF) began its competition today with opening jumper classes in the International Arena. To start the year off right, Nick Skelton (GBR) was back in the saddle and in the winner's circle with Unique, owned by Beverly Widdowson, in the $8,000 G&C Farm 1.45m Jumpers.

Nick Skelton and Unique won the $8,000 G&C Farm 1.45m Jumpers on the opening day of the 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival. Photo © Sportfot

The first week of the FTI WEF runs through Sunday, January 16. The 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival has 12 weeks of competition that conclude on April 3, 2011, and they will be awarding almost $6 million in prize money through the circuit. The highlight jumper class in week one is the $30,000 Speed Derby on Sunday at 2 p.m.

This week's course designer in the International Arena is Anthony D'Ambrosio of Red Hook, NY. He set a welcoming course for the 12 entries in the Time First Round class. The early leader was Pablo Barrios (VEN) who was clear on G&C Sinatra. They set a time of 69.682 seconds that would hold up for fourth place. Barrios placed third on his second mount, G&C Flash, who went in 67.614 seconds. Enrique Gonzales (MEX) improved on that time in 66.744 seconds with his horse Katina, and they finished second.

Going ninth in the order, Skelton and Unique, a 10-year-old KWPN by Indoctro x Voltaire, were quick through the turns and kept a steady pace to cross the timers in 66.046 seconds and moved into the lead.

Skelton, a six-time Olympian, has returned to the show ring after a six month break. In August, he had a hip replacement, and then he underwent surgery for his rotator cuff in September. Skelton started riding again on the day before Christmas Eve, when he rode two horses, and then didn't get back on a horse until last Thursday. This was his first class back in the show ring.

"The horses have been resting and were in the field for two or three months," Skelton said. "I feel good. My shoulder is a bit sore, but that's to be expected I suppose. I had to take the time off. With my hip in the end, I couldn't walk. My shoulder I couldn't get above 90 degrees. It feels okay and it will get better."

Unique, who showed with American Olympic gold medalist Laura Kraut at WEF in the 7/8 Year Old Young Jumpers, competed last year with Skelton in grand prix classes in Europe. Along with Unique, Skelton has two eight-year-old jumpers and his top grand prix horse Carlo 273, who was a grand prix winner at last year's FTI WEF.

"It feels good to be back in Florida, and I hope to have another good circuit," Skelton expressed.

The 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival will continue tomorrow with the $30,000 WEF Challenge Cup Round One, which will run in the International Arena at 1 p.m.

Views: 42

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service