I've written before in my own personal blog about Danielle Herb, the teen who teaches Natural Horsemanship as an aid to other kids suffering with ADD/ADHD, in the hopes of focusing their attention and getting them off their meds.
I make no claim as to either the efficacy of her methods. It's too soon to tell whether an ADHD/ADD kid can come off their meds by using behavioral methods alone. If anyone knows of studies to this effect, I'd like to read about them. I don't know enough about her NH style to say one way or the other that I support them on behalf of the horses used in her program. What I can say is this: Provided the horses are well-kept, and treated gently and kids are watched carefully as they deal with them, who can have a problem with horses having a noble job helping children? Not me! This kid is a serious role model for us all.
The following is taken from a digital flyer sent to me by a good friend:
Start Your Summer In Florida With Danielle Herb, the ADHD/ADD Natural Horsemanship Coach
(Imagine a YouTube Video Announcement Inserted here--I didn't know we could not embed these here on Barnmice, so I've scurried off to find out how to post video!) Ah!: try clicking on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaG8JmdJKRI&feature=player_embedded
WHO: Children Diagnosed with ADHD/ADD Aged 10-16
WHEN: June 21-28, 2009
WHERE: North Florida (Location to be announced)
The Master Class will allow you to teach other young people the skills you learn, while at the same time teaching you how to manage your own ADD/ADHD by learning the language of the horse and mirroring.
By taking part in this Master Class you will discover:
• How to manage energy in Positive and Peaceful ways by allowing the horse to mirror you.
• How to improve your grades by developing a natural ability to focus.
• How to easily plan and manage your diet for natural, positive affects.
Winners of The ADHD/ADD Horse Kid Scholarship will receive:
• ADHD Horse Level 1 Coach Certification, allowing you to help other young people (worth $2499)
• Lodging and Meals for the duration of the Master Class
• A exclusive swag bag filled with books, music, DVD's and services that will help you
• You will gain life skills which will help you to control your ADHD/ADD
For testimonials from real kids and more video, visit ADHDKidScholarship.com. Spread the word, please. This is the ultimate combination of kids and horses.