With spring in the air, its time to strip off those winter layers and look forward to the warmer months ahead. When it comes to your own horse’s wardrobe, Bucas Rugs have ten great tips to ensure that your horse is suitably dressed this spring.
1. Make sure that you invest in the best quality rugs that you can afford – whilst a cheap rug might be a quick fix for now, it could cost you more in the long term with costly repairs and rug rubs. Whilst an expensive rug may be a big outlay to start with, if looked after it should be with you for many years to come.
2. If you are shopping for a new rug, consider exactly what purpose you require it for and also for the length of time your horse will be wearing it. For example, if you are looking for a stable rug, is it more beneficial for you to buy a good quality medium weight rug that will see you through the spring and autumn months, as opposed to layering up rugs and coolers, which would probably add up more in price, take double the time to put on/take off and cause more pressure points than just one quality rug!
3. Again, if you are buying a spring turnout rug, ask the manufacturer if it has been designed to be worn 24/7? Whilst we would always recommend checking your horse and rug over at least twice a day – our rugs are designed for long term use and because our rugs have a clever quick reference temperature gauge graphic on our website and the rug packaging it’s easy for horse owners to decide which rug is best for which time of year. Some of the Bucas rugs also feature a clever climate control system, by way of their special lining and are breathable. This means that if we have a warm afternoon or mild night, your horse will still be comfortable and not too hot (so no more panicking at your desk or in your bed worrying about your horse)
4. Rugs are generally measured from the centre of the chest following a horizontal line around the side of the horse to the back of the quarters – just before you reach the tail and come in 3 inch increments. If your horse falls in between go for the closest size and remember that just like shopping on the high street, sizes can vary between brands. Bucas offer a special measuring tape to ensure that you get the perfect fit for our collection, but remember some brands can be more generous than others with their sizing, so always check with the retailer about any brand you are buying from.
5. You should ensure that the chest area is not too restricted by the fastenings especially with the bigger chested horses such as cobs, warm bloods or heavier draft types; you need to allow freedom of movement. All Bucas rugs are designed to allow plenty of freedom of movement around this area as well as offering a snug fit around the shoulders.
6. For versatility, a rug with a detachable neck cover offers a practical solution to a climate that changes from day to day or hour to hour and our ‘combi’ rugs ensure that your horse or pony is covered what ever the weather!
7. Never ever put a field rug on your horse and turn the horse out straight away –especially with youngsters or nervous horses. Always check all is well with the horse and the rug before you let both loose in the field or alone in the stable over night.
8. As we move into late spring/early summer there is always that dilemma of turning your horse out in rug. Bucas have developed the Sun Shower rug that caters for both sunshine and rain with a waterproof, breathable coating, sun reflective silver outer and mesh lining to help circulate air and always check for breathability properties in your turnout rugs
9. Summer time brings flies and harmful sun rays, so investing in a good quality fly rug that can protect against both is key if you plan to turn your horse out for long periods this summer. Not only do our Buzz-Off fly rug and hood help keep those biting insects at bay, but they also help keep their horses cleaner as well as protecting their skin from harmful UV rays – perfect summer time wear! For this year the Buzz Off Rain – does all of the above but also has a specially built in rain protection section along the back and down the mane area of the detachable hood.
10. Finally, don’t be afraid to call up the rug manufacturer if you aren’t sure which rug to buy. As most brands will have a variety of rugs and different weights to choose from, it can be a little bewildering, so pick up the phone or check out a company’s website to ensure that you get the right rug for the right job!
(+353) 21 431 2200