I posted a blog about the passing of my beloved.  A friend over last weekend invited me out to see some their horses, and one thing lead to another, and soon I was riding one of their very fine horses.  Very calm, and although young, quiet and willing to work for me.  A lot of natural strength, but very controlled.  The horse stayed "between my legs" as it where, and was quite willing to be there.  Sounds perfect?  Yeah, big problem:  He's a stallion!  I have a mare that he'd have to be out and around with!  

This stallion has never bred before, and he could be gelded.  A new gelding out with a mare?  Would this even work?  

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the colt has never been bred and if he is gelded properly it can work, but you HAVE to wait at least 6 weeks before turning them out together, or you will have a surprise next year.

Remember to quarantine if possible so she can see him (remember 6 weeks for healing and birth control,) then introduce them gradually, starting over a strong fence.

I suspect that your mare will promptly put him in his place, especially since she is experienced with living with a gelding. 

Decades ago there was a saying that it takes a good stallion to make a good gelding.  If you get him please show us some pictures.   

Whew!  Okay, this sounds like it could work!  If I get him, I will definitely post some pics.  Thank you for the feedback and the support-I feel a little a loose ends right now.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service