Sky has improved quite a bit.

And I've taken her on a couple trail rides, and had a blast.

Here's the problem. On the trail she is exactly where she needs to be. Smooth transitions, beautiful carriage, accepting the bit nicely...but in the arena, she's a completely different horse.

Now, I have only had her for about a month now, and her improvement is wonderful. Our walk has gotten much better, and we trot off leg cues great. But going in straight lines, dropping the shoulder, bending, and accepting the bit are all problems....BUT only in the arena!

Can she be this arena sour already from only being ridden for 2 years? Why is she such a different horse on a trail when in the arena she's acting like it's her first time under saddle?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with her improvements. If I could ride her on the trail every day for a month, I would. And I think she would be much better in the arena. But our situation only works out once a week for trail riding.

Since now, she has gotten out of the WP mindset and has a much more forward attitude, I'm thinking of not riding her for about a month, except for trails, and working only on the lunge to teach her bending. Giving her a complete break from arena riding. What are your thoughts/suggestions on this?

I'm pretty stumped....since still most of the times I've worked with babies, I've started them. Not someone else.

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's been my experience that horses who are arena sour have worked too long and too hard in the arena or have had an abusive situation in an arena. I can't imagine your horse being ring sour in 2 years unless that is all she has done with no time off to do anything different. Obviously you are trying to change it up for her to make things more interesting this is good, and you are seeing improvement. Once a week for trail riding is fine but more would be better but your situation doesn't allow it, so I think your idea of lunging her is great but remember even though that's all you do for a month other than trail riding you are still going to face the same problem in the arena when you go back there. But if you are lunging in the arena itself, then she should associate that the arena is a safe place and not so boring afterall. Make sure you change up her exercises so she doesn't get bored and revert back to that first time thing.
Obviously your mare loves the relaxed trail riding thing, and possibly being in frame and working in the arena like that makes her not so relaxed like she is in WP. Remember WP is all she new and did well, she needs to know that even though she's a beginner at HJ that she is doing it well. Encouragement goes a long way just like when you are starting babies. In fact she is a baby in her mind when it comes to HJ even after 2 years. Some horses swap disciplines quickly others take longer just like we do when we are learning stuff. It sounds like you are doing the right things and I encourage you to keep it up.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service