Hi At what point do you decide to clip your horse? Some horses' coats are already incredibly heavy, but it seems so early in the season to clip. Any tips for drying them off, other than using a cooler, walking and waiting (maybe hours!) Also, does anyone turn out or not turn out in the rain? With a sheet, even if the horses still has a heavy coat? This time of year is so confusing!

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have draft crosses - heavy coats - especially the clyde crosses. Since these horses are performance horses and work almost daily I am clipping next week.

I would like to clip before this weekend because some are eventing but if it is cold that is not good - if it is hot this weekend that will be bad too.

So next week I will clip three of them. If we get a warm spell they just won't be able to work with the coats they have now. In all likelihood they will be clipped again in December.

I will clip my babies that are going to the royal at the end of the month and my son's pony will also be clipped then - he doesn't grow as much of a coat.

I hate to clip this early because then it means blankets outside but I have no choice if they are going to work - it takes too long to dry them.

I find that if I let them roll in the arena and then brush them off or towel rub them they dry much quicker as the sand absorbs the moisture.
Hi Maureen,
I read your reply and thought I'd chime in that I have just clipped my horse today! He was so hairy and his coat so think that he couldn't work properly. The towel rubbing definitely does help. Some people suggest doing a very light spray of alcohol. Have you ever tried that. p.s. What will your babies be competing in? I'll be there and will look for them! :)
Canadian Sport Horse - Yearling Colt and a Two Year Old filly - On the last saturday - usually around 10-11 am.

You can't miss my colt - he has four white feet - flashy bay with blaze - he is 16.3 hh already

Filly is a bay with two back white feet - she is by rio grande

Say Hi if you see me
I have already clipped my horse, but he sweated a lot. You could clip now, but it's a lot of hassle to layer blankets and stuff. But, on the other hand, a clipped horse is a lot easier to groom and cool out. If you don't mind a heavier blanket (not that you'll need it, it's still pretty warm even though it's raining) just plop on another layer (maybe not even, their hair grows back fast). Also, you should maybe wait until later in the winter because my big man already grew back most of his coat, and we clipped him in late september.
I just clipped my horse yesterday Natasha and I'm sure his coat will be back within the next six weeks!
I am already fussing over which blanket he should wear. One is too light, the other too heavy - I'm never sure! Right now he has the slightly heavier blanket on and I'm of course worried that he's sweating to death!
My boy is very hairy and I am planning on clipping him tomorrow. He will wear a light sheet at night but not during the day if it remains in the teens. He will probably need re-clipping once or even twice more this year but he is too uncomfortable not to clip at this point. I am holding off on the others as long as possible!

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service