The latest edition of OEF WHOA has a 2 page article (p 48) strongly in favour of horse slaughter. This article completely contradicts what the CBC documentray showed so vividly or the existence of the Canadian Horse Defense Coalition. What do you think of this?

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the arguments for and against horse slaughter will never be resolved - and as long as we all eat meat (I don't) and use leather (I do) there are too many other variables that could come into the discussion.

In that regard, I leave everyone to their opinion and rationale.

On a positive note, I love what World Horse Welfare is focusing on - that is eliminating unnecessary long distance transport of horses. Their news release is posted in their group, if you wish to read it or comment. I think that whether you are for or against horse slaughter for meat, the elimination of undo suffering of horses or any animal on the way to slaughter is something we can all likely agree upon.
In a perfect world, there would not be abusive and neglectful owners, irresponsible breeders, or people who just plain don't care. Every horse would be loved and well cared for and happy. But the reality is that there will always be horses with nowhere else to go in the end, and the best we can hope for is that horses on their way to slaughter are treated with some humanity.

I have quoted this before, but I'll do it again, "We are responsible forever for that which we tame." (Antoine de Saint-Exupery from "The Little Prince"), so ensuring our own horses are well cared for and never in a position where they have to make that dreadful journey is the best place we can start.

Just my two cents worth ...

Dorothy
Well said..
Extremely well said regarding a very difficult and no-win topic.
I think the travelling to the point of slaughter should be as short as posible. When you put horses loose in a cattle crate there tends to be a lot of stress. But of course how many of the people against horse slaughter own dogs? Most dog food [ in australia anyway] is horse meat. The other thing is horses don't produce methane when they fart, so if we were to eat less cattle , then less green house gas would be produced, maybe we would save the world by eating horses? [ NOT SOMETHING I COULD DO] C heers Geoffrey
This months Horse Sport magazine had a picture of a horrible accident out west(Calgary I believe)...it was a double decker horse transport...a number of horses were killed/euthanized because of it...I understood from the OEF article that double decker transport was not legal in Canada...
Hi Fiona,
I was following that accident and thought it was not a double decker, but I do believe that the driver was not even licensed to drive that type of vehicle!
There were 32 horses involved which led me to think it was a double decker...
Hi Fiona,
Although the OEF was right is saying that it is illegal to use double decker transports in Canada, the CBC documentraty showed two of those trucks arriving the day they were there. Apparently the law is not enforced.

Did you see my latest post with the documents attached? Frightening stuff! Shows up on page.

Zoe
Yes Geoffrey, I was wondering if dog food was made of horse meat. I know it contains something other than beef, because here in Canada the label sometimes says "Meat by-products" (whatever they are) so for sure it's not sirloin!

And Dorothy,as a side note, that's one of my favorite books!!
In regards to meat in dog food...as a pet specialty store owner I am frequently asked these types of questions. Meat is a very loose term and when used it is because they truly can't identify what type of 'meat' (or poultry) they are using. If one wants to feed their dogs well, please stay away from the 'grocery/big box' brands and see someone in a small pet speciatly store. I do not sell any products that don't contain an identifiable meat source protein!!! There are some EXCELLENT dog/cat foods on todays market that actually are made with the canine and feline in mind! Sorry I could go on forever on this topic!
i think horse slaughter is wrong. completely out of the question for any horse i would ever be responsible for. and as for the dog meat, we buy dog food that doesnt have horse meat in it. i make my mum buy that stuff.. haha.
i just dont see the point in it really.
i think its wrong. and i agree, that as long as we protect our horses, it is a good start. but i aim to hopefully make some sort of change to horse alaughter.
xx Alyssa

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service