I'm starting a bragging thread where everyone can talk about progress they've made on their horse (big or small), something really great that they've just learned, congratulate their friends, family, riding students, or themselves on small and large accomplishments that they have recently had (in horses and in life).

I have one to start:

1. Congratulations to Barnmice member Katherine, who performed incredibly and sang an amazing solo in the university show. (video posted)

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My young Dutch Warmblood just learned his flying changes! We also just went to our first CDI and he won both our Junior FEI classes with 64%s!
Yay!
After alot of hard work with my coach we have gotten my Standardbred who is an ex pacer going at a nice trot undersaddle and have started cantering him undersaddle and we have also gotten his starting to bend nicely as well and doing nice round circles. I am also super proud of him for how he has been behaving on road hacks- barely batting an eyelash at the cars, which is a big change from his bucking and rearing that he used to do when cars went by.
Awesome!!
I jumped Toohey 1.25 metres last night. I have never jumped that high. My heart was in my throat, but we made it and went over 3 times. I am proud of myself and my beautiful boy.
Yay for you, Rebecca!!
Awesome! Wow! Congratulations! Way to go girl!!!!!
I bought Buddy, my Quarter Horse gelding, when he was 4 yrs old. The horse trader was selling him for someone else, and was riding him with a gag bit and tie-down. Needless to say, Buddy traveled like a 2X4...stiff and unwilling...you could see in his eyes that he was about at the end of his rope. Buddy was at the awkward stage...all legs, lanky, and uncoordinated. He was cheap, so I took him home as a 'project' horse. The first 6 months were bad...he wouldn't come to me in the pasture, he was stiff, hung on the bit, and balked. He hated being ridden and resisted on a daily basis. He was never mean...just sick of it all.

It took about a year to 're-train' and reach Buddy....a lot of kindness, patience, and treating him fairly made a huge difference. I helped him learn to loosen up, give, handle himself, and look forward to getting out in the arena or up in the hayfields. I'd call him and he'd come running up from the pasture. We went to local shows and jackpots where he could hang out and see what was happening...he learned to enjoy all the attention and to socialize. I incorporated trail obstacles and the barrel (racing) pattern into his daily exercises. We spent time just 'hanging out' in the yard or the barn lot...doing nothing but being together.

During our 3rd year I began exhibitioning him at the small, local barrel races. We took our time, and over the next 12 years he became a fantastic barrel horse. He wasn't goofy...he would walk in, trot, lope, and then gallop to the first barrel. He was light-mounthed and responsive to my legs, seat, and voice. He'd stop easily. He was a dream to run! No pulling or fighting...he wanted it, and loved it. He was so proud of himself as he jogged out after his run...

We ran for about 12 years, and then he injured a tendon during a run at Topeka. Once he healed, I found that he was developing arthritis in his front right pastern area. I tried so many things over the next 2 years, but it became obvious that he was through running. I refused to run him during this time..we rode trails and took it easy. Nothing worked, so I finally turned him out. He's now our Official Weed Eater. He's on pasture, and runs around like the Black Stallion himself. He gets goodies and hugs...yes, he's kind of spolied! He deserves his retirement though.

I'm thankful that when I found Buddy, I was too broke to afford a different horse. I was forced to give him a chance, and through consistent good riding, lots of patience, and the Lord's Will, Buddy went from a gawky, resistent, irritable youngster to a willing, athletic, outgoing winner. I love him, and it's tough trying to find a horse to replace him...every morning I go out the back door and he whinnies to me...big, black, and tough-looking...still proud of himself and enjoying every day. I miss riding him!

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service