I am beginning to wonder about horsemen and horsewomen insisting on "playing" with their horses.
When I started out riding, people did not play with their horses. It was heavily discouraged because it ENCOURAGES DISRESPECT. If you wanted to get your horse fit, you WORKED him properly, schooling him in a well thought out program.
If all a horse does around you is play he starts thinking that he does not have to work at all unless he feels like it.
You have to TRAIN a horse to obey you.
Am I just an old fashioned fuddy-duddy?

Views: 683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What white hats? Did I miss something?

I would love to sign and or pass a petition to save the Mustangs. But what does saving mean? I think that they should be left to do whatever they were doing before we showed up in this continent, they've been running through north America since the early 1500's. Inbreeding, or doing whatever they did, the point is they were fine before we ever saw them.

And there's less competition for forage grasses now, beacause we drove the Buffalo and the Wlild Turkey numbers down so far.

Every other country in the world has treasured their native stock, managed the wild/feral herds, and founded pure breeds from them.

We on the other hand seem to have treated them in a rather strange way, casting them off as mongrels or somehow less equine than our so called pure breeds.

I appreciate the many kind people that have adopted, or work with the adoptable Mustangs somehow. But I definately do not think it's for everyone.

I know lady up the Mountain who is an absolute Mustang fanatic, and has several herself. Faboulous work she's doing, but one thing bothers me about her, she is always talking someone into getting an unbroke BLM mustang. (especially beginners)

Not everyone is capable of training a domestic bred, home raised horse, let alone a grown, wild horse. That to me is setting people up for dissappointment and it's not fair to the people, sometimes you have to be kind to people too.

But I'm not saying beginners cant train a Mustang, of course with dedication we horsey people seem to find a way for everything.

Just saying sometimes any rider, beginner, or seasoned just needs a good, honest packer. Always match the horse to the rider or no one will be happy.
Okay, I've used up my allotted time on this time eater but I will get some info sent to you that you can sign, return and pass on to others that you think might either do the same or at least pass the information on to others.
By help the mustangs/ wild horses, I mean just as you'd hope for, that they'd be able to stay on their land. Somethings do not belong to humans to destroy as they just go ahead and greedily misuse nature. I am absolutely sickened by this problem issue and the issue of the mistreatment of horses in the slaughter methods that are being utilized in this country and others to reduce the burden of wild and domesticated horses. I am convinced that some do need to be euthanized but not slaughtered and mistreated as they are with the current system of things.
And I agree totally with what you say about putting putting mustangs in the hands of a novice. It's dangerous and cruel to the rider and the horse. Eventually any horse put into the wrong hands is going to end up paying the price of the human mistake.
White hats?! In my neck of the woods the good guys wear white hats and the bad guys wear black hats. It was used in car commercials here for a while too.
Even in cowboy shows the good guys often wear the light colored hats and the bad guys wear the darker colors. I'm guessing you don't wear a cowboy hat..
I tend to like all things western. I only have a couple straw cowboy hats that are cute but my 'thing' is cowboy boots. I love cowboy boots. Especially Ariat. But I do have a few pair of Ariat Paddock boot cause they really are the "MOST" comfortable for me to wear when I'm on my feet at the barn for 4-6 hours and sometimes more. So now, It's "Chill-out"..."Cheer-UP... and "Get a life!". I would like to learn how to do horse massage or Bowen treatments so I could help horses and help pay my horsie bills. Better make some decisions pretty soon. At my age if I'm gonna do either I'd better get on with it.
Oh, I wanted to share with you that they are having problems with wild horse issues is some parts of Europe and Australia too these days. Sad but true!
I do wear a cowboy hat! and It's white!
I like Cowboy stuff but usually not to ride horses! LOL

I ride western sometimes with my Western friends or If I'm attending a Penning or Rodeo of some sort.

I always wear a white straw hat to ride except when I'm wearing my helmet
Then you MUST be a good guy!
I don't think they should be domesticated.... without a ton of professional help like I have... I think they should just have property set aside for them, drop some seeds or something near water where they can find food, something.... and leave them alone....

:)
Did I send you the petition and other contact information about the mustangs?
Hope you have a great week-end with those beautiful horses.
I've spent the week on walk-trot and trot-walk transitions in an effort to speed the walk and slow the trot. It's improving!!!!!!
Hoping to have a lesson today.
Shirley I never got a petition, did you mean a link?

I saw the phone numbers you left but It'd be better if you had a link I could then pass on
Reply to Debbie M.s message:
I think I do treat my horse like a pet but I expect obedience with either my horse or dog. I haven't yet brought my horse in the house but I have let him come in the tack room with me which I decided was too small an area to do that... just in case some crazy thing happened and he spooked. And I don't let him on the couch. But I do look forward to the time when I can sit beside him or on him on the ground and maybe go to all four with me on his back. Thankfully I get better obedience with my horse then the dog. That is likely cause I do get firmer with the horse that he HAS to mind.
Some horses seem to love the balls and others could care less. Cash never liked his Jolly Ball but he will play with a larger ball but he bores of it rather quickly. Some horses I've seen play with them a l-o-n-g time and that is fun to watch.
Have you seen Patches on YOuTube? He lives with these two older cowboys. He comes in the house with them. He lays on the bed and covers himself up. He goes to the frig and gets the fellas a beer. He picks up the phone when it rings. He rides in the back seat of their convertable (I think they cut the top off of an old car) when they go to a drive thru. Now this is way beyond things for me but it is cute and rather amazing.
I also desensitize Cash with the things you mention. Right now we have two Sandhill Cranes out in the hayfield and I've tried to get Cash to spot them from a distance but so far he's shown no reacton. The other day they got in the lane and did this wonderful dance thing where they hopped and strudded around with their large wings expanded and flapping...mateing dance probably. . So cool. but holy cow, how do ya desensitize them for those things? And they have a loud high pitched almost screaming voice. I used to visit a riding stable that had chickens, ducks and peacocks and I always figured those were great things to help a horse be braver away from the barn.
I love running beside my horse and we keep a safe distance. And I do like running and playing with the family pit bull. BUT, one day he got really excited and started running around me and he clipped the back of my legs which caused me to teeter and then go down with a jarring thud. My horse has spooked when I'm standing next to him and he tries very hard to avoid running into me. Someday Cash might get me but I might get in a car crash too. I only do this when the moment feels right,
One of my trainers used to tell me that a horse isn't a pet/dog...he never confinced me. I can be stubborn?! But, I am open minded in most matters.
How long have you been Horsen Around?
I once let Ferdinand come in the house when It was under construction, there were no doors up and he just wanted to take a peek.

I think that things like birds and critters that are often in their environment are'nt really an issue, I was just looking at some of your pics, and CASH appears to be pretty level headed and by his posture it looks like well trained too.

If you walk along looking for things that your horse might spook at, than so will he. I was just saying yesterday how sometimes you just have to go about your business if you want your horse to do the same.

My horses out in the pasture have access to wooded areas where they see coyote, badger, bobcat, we even had a bear in our front yard once (which makes me think maybe they come by sometimes even though I've never seen one again).

But all my horses just deal with it, because it's part of there environment, they can come across animals out on trail and be totally unphased

We have free range cows here too.
Delete Comment Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

"Are They Still Real?"
A young girl's question rings true as we continue to lose our herds of wild mustangs to uncontrollable mismanagement by our own government. Here is an update on Cloud's capture and release and what you can do now. Plus a preview of the new show!

Dear Friends of Cloud and his herd;

On September 9th six of us stood atop a low hill near the corrals where the Pryor wild horses would be set free. The first band to be released was Cloud’s. But, the family was missing the young members of the band and Cloud knew it. Instead of racing to freedom as he has done twice before, he dashed in a circle around his mares and lone foal, Jasmine. Again and again he tried to snake them back toward the corrals where part of his family was held captive.

It is the stallion father’s job to keep the family together and we saw a display unlike anything I have ever seen as Cloud swept past his band trying to keep them from returning to the mountain top. The whole time wranglers on horse back drove the band and yelled at the horses, trying to get them to leave. Cloud paid no attention to the riders on their tall horses. Instead he tried in vain to reunite his splintered family. In the end the mares won, racing away with Cloud grudgingly following. With tears in our eyes, we watched him disappear into the desert.

Two days earlier we had stood on high hill over looking the corrals watching as bands were driven in from the mountain top through the desert. My heart dropped as I spotted the pale horse in the distance with his band. It was Cloud. The helicopter pilot dipped and swerved, doing its best to bring his family in through the desert foothills. With the Black in the lead, the band broke back time and again, as if knowing what lay before them. Finally, the helicopter was able to press them into the wings of the trap and Cloud took the lead. The Judas horse was released and raced past him. What happened next was a first for me. Cloud completely ignored the lure of the Judas horse! When the corral came into view he slowed and the band pushed in around him, trying to run away from the helicopter. Dust swirled around them as Cloud stopped and turned to face the chopper and stood still for a few seconds. Then, he turned following his family into the corral. I have never seen this kind of defiant courage . . . ever.

And so, I ask that we take his lead. Courage is what we need now. Courage and tenacity.

We must keep up the fight.

photo above: Living Images by Carol Walker

SHOW PREVIEW HERE. The new PBS Nature Cloud program, "Cloud: Challenge of the Stallions" will premiere on Sunday, October 25th - many of the horses you will meet in this third chapter now sit in pens at the base of their mountain home. Please help us lobby for the release of the older horses immediately. You can read and follow our frequent updates on The Cloud Foundation blog here.

TAKE ACTION NOW:

Ask for the release of the older horses from the Pryor Mountain roundup, it is cruel and nonsensical to remove Grumpy, 21 year old mare, Conquistador, a 19-year-old band stallion, and the 11 other horses over ten years old. Ask for the immediate reform of the BLM’s Wild Horse and Burro Program, call daily and fax your comments as well!

1. White House Switchboard – 202-456-1414 (fax: 202-456-2461) -- Ask for Senior Advisors: Valerie Jarrett and David Axelrod. Ask for Michelle Obama too, her office is receiving a tremendous number of calls and they need to continue.

2. Call your Senators – switchboard 202-224-3121 and ask that they support S1579, The Restore our American Mustang (ROAM) Act

3. Call the Senate Committee of Natural Resources – 202-224-4971 (fax 202-224-6163) Email here. ask that they push the ROAM Act through immediately– it must go up for a vote soon in the Senate

4. .Join us for for the next Advisory Board Meeting and "Mustangs on the Hill"- Sept. 28 & 29th

Please join me and many others at the National Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Board Meeting in Arlington, VA on September 28th (click here for information). Make your voice heard – and then join us in DC on the hill for meetings with key members of the Senate as well as upper-level whitehouse and Department of Interior staff the following day. Our wild horses' hoofbeats need to be heard in Washington DC! More details to follow to be posted on our blog soon.

You are receiving this email because you have asked to be on our e-mail list. If you have received this e-mail in error, please unsubscribe. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience!

Unsubscribe cashs-mom@comcast.net from this list.

Our mailing address is:
The Cloud Foundation 107 South 7th St Colorado Springs, CO 80905

Our telephone:
719-633-3842

Copyright (C) 2008 The Cloud Foundation All rights reserved. Comment by Jennifer Lamm on September 3, 2009 at 4:15pm The whole thing is interesting, but honestly, both of my horses had some attributes in all quadrants, so I'm not sure what all that means... Oliver has some of the introverted tendencies too but I can't remember them off the top of my head... he doesn't kick, but he is more of a charger.... it is all about his big fat head with this horse, and he's mouthy and food oriented, so that is why I said
I'm on it as soon as I stop crying uncontollably and wishing I could kill someone....

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service