We had a scary time here last week when my 13 yr old Canadian mare colicked. With the vet's help, she survived it, but now I'm paranoid about anything I see that's unusual. I've started wetting her pelleted food, cutting carrots into tiny pieces, added flax to her feed.
Today we rode at the conservation area and she just wasn't her usual bold and athletic self. She was also in heat - only signs with her are excessive sluttiness and a lot of peeing usually, so I'm not sure that's the reason for her different demeanor.
I'd like to hear from others who've been through colic with their horses. Does it affect them after they have recovered? Are they more likely to colic again?

Views: 282

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Linda, I went to that Youtube site and those options are really great. Although I wasn't too crazy about the nets, I new a friend whose horse was left unattended and got her front leg caught in the net which was hanging too low. True it was one with larger wholes. But those box ones are a great idea, simple to make too. Can't decide if I would make 6 one for each horse or 3 so two can eat at the same time.
I agree about the nets - tho I put one together using a hockey net for the times my horses are in stalls waiting for the farrier. My mare willl pick away at the hay in the hockey net while she waits - otherwise she sifts thru the shavings and that scares me, plus they all hate being in stalls.
We are using the model that showed the empty trough and the metal candycanes that secure the grate. It's bloody marvelous!! And BTW, some people worried about the horses' lips sticking to the grate in the cold weather - didn't happen and it went to minus 18C last night.
Hi Ladies,
Our hay boxes are the slow feeders. They allow the horse to graze with small amounts, and almost zero wastage. No hay on the ground. I will get back to every one on this shortly. These feeders are a British idea that I got from a really well run local stable. Every one that sees these things want to build one.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service