How do you make a decision to stop riding?! I am in pain in my knees when I get up -- my hips too....my MD says it's arthritis....going to start physical therapy; can't afford much else as he is also in rehab with his back; I still have to lunge him prior to putting his saddle on and when I put his saddle on...it's better but not ideal....maybe it's time to quit riding and/or lease a horse rather than buying another one...decisions, decisions....any ideas out there (I'm 55 and very creaky)

Views: 291

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I appreciate all the suggestions. I can't do Tae Bo due to a genetic defect in my knee -- I'm lucky I can do Pilates! I work 14 hour days 3-4 days / week in one state and then live in another --- not much time for the boy! my life changed since I bought him. Where did the lady who uses the hemp purchase it? Is it legal? I walk some days. In my 40s I was a faithful helper with a Hippotherapy program in Yellow Springs, OH although I have since moved to Michigan and I am aware of a number of facilities in the area. I am hoping to soon ride again and I was able to saddle him on my own last week so we are making progress. We're getting there; it's just slow going. Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions!
Margaret
Oh, Pilates is tough! It sure works your core. Good for you, Margaret!
Hi--I get my hemp products at the health food stores. Hemp powder may be on the shelves with the protein boosters, or with the fiber supplements. It comes in powder, not pills. You can also get the GLA (anti-inflammatory fatty acid) in hemp oil. Hemp products are legal, as they do not have any active psychoactive chemicals in them, these products come from hemp plants grown for fiber in Canada and legally imported (and taxed) into the USA. Hemp grows very long fibers, and originally canvas was made from hemp.
There is a web site hempforhorses.com with good information for using hemp as a supplement for horses, pets and people. Do not use hemp products with cats, it is safe for horses, people and dogs, and I assume other herbivores.
I was wondering about the hemp products being legal also.
Do they claim to have any relaxaton benefits?

Shirley
Not that I noticed when I used them. However hemp powder has 18 amino acids including all the essential ones, and all three types of the essential fatty acids, Omega 3, 6, & 9 so the body has a lot to work with to make up for nutritional deficiencies.
These products are from hemp--plants grown for fiber (for ropes, canvas, and fabrics) and the seeds (for oil and amino acids), there may be a trace of THC, but it would be impossible to get high from this type of hemp. It is legal to buy in the USA, and legal to grow and buy in Canada.
I think someone also makes bedding from the hemp plant.
Thanks, I'll check out the web site too.
Margaret, If you can't find hemp look for flax to feed your horse, the ground meal, not the whole seeds. Feed mills, and feed stores that buy from them, have it by the 20 kilo bag. I am lucky enough to be able to buy organic localy. It has a nice oily-nutty smell to it.

In summer don't buy a lot, or keep it very cool in a basement-temperature room or better yet in a damp-proof bag in a freezer, as it will go rancid. My horses, donkey jack, mules all get it in winter but not in summer as I have nowhere cool enough to store it. I shall get an old freezer for it when my barn is finished-it is taking forever as money trickles into my wallet and pours out!
I think it is legitimate to stop riding and enjoy a horse (or pony, miniature, donkey, mule) from the ground without feeling as if one has let down the side, somehow. There seem to be so many animals needing homes now that selling a riding horse to someone younger and giving a home to a non-rideable horse seems a good thing to do. Driving is another option, if one has safe places to drive a horse or a pair. A light-weight step-in cart, a picnic basket and a friend, tie the horse and give her a nosebag and sit under a tree somewhere, driving can be lots of fun.

Smaller, gaited breeds, and narrower-bodied ones, too, are sometimes easier on the knees. I can't say my porky Icelandic is narrower but he is so easy to deal with as he is only 13:2, that less feed and less effort is involved. Falling off him is no worse than toppling off a bicycle, not the death-defying experience that falling off one of the sport fillies is at my age. He is quick, a keener, keeps up well with the other larger horses and is so much fun to ride that I feel like a kid again on him. (He is also for sale as I cannot give him the time now, with my little breeding operation and too many 'girls' to ride.)
Did you respond to the lady that was looking for a good pony on here ? She may have already found one?
That's a tough one. Like many people in our age group I also have to deal with cronic pain. When my Appy died I had freinds tell me to take it as a blessing and don't buy another horse, but that attitude just pissed me off. I waited a year before getting another horse and though pain is pretty much a constant companion I have no regrets and am enjoying every minute I spend with my new Standardbred. Fortunately he is young and dosen't have any physical problems himself, and is very well mannered on the roads and trails. I definately would not want a hot horse at this time in my life.
Another instance, a freind of mine has fiber mialga (sp?) amounst other things, and she has owned any Appy gelding now for about 18 years. This horse lucked out into the easiest life the lazyist horse on the planet could have dreamed of. My friend was only riding a little when she bought him, but was always hopeful that she could get back enough physical strenght and endurence to even just ride casually (she used to compete in Dressage) but not such luck. She tried going to theraputic riding to build up the muscle and balance aspects again, but her conditioned only worsened and about five years ago had to make the decision to stop riding all together. It was very hard for her to do and had to deal with depression for some time. But she got through it and still has her horse, but he is just an expensive pet and wouldn't have it any other way.
Like I said, tough choice. I guess it just depends on how much pain you are in, and how much you are willing to tolerate in order to continue riding.
Sometimes the increase in endorphins actually makes you feel physically better. I started riding at 53 and all of my lab work tests improved and I lost weight with no other effort. I was just much happier and more active. BUT, if a person is in enough pain then continueing to ride could certainly be the wrong way to go.
How sad that would be for any horse lover! Any of us that are able to ride no matter what age are very fortunate.
Many Happy Trails!
There is always the option of stopping riding for years, and then getting back to it because you can't stand not riding any more. I stopped for riding completely for 5 years, and finally realized that if I wanted to go on walking I HAD to start riding again. I had 4 horses when I diagnosed, the sheer amount of labor necessary to take care of them made sure that I didn't have any energy left to ride. But then MS is different from fibromyalgia and severe arthritis etc..
There are hot-blooded horses who are simply wonderful in the human-equine relationship department. My first horse was an Anglo-Arab. I was having MS attacks, not realizing it, all the time I learned to ride on him (mostly by myself.) I was a clutz but I did not have problems, much to the contrary I was the envy of the stable for his wonderful calm and cooperative disposition.
Though I must admit those Standardbreds sound like something I should look into. One of Americas much ignored warmblood breeds, and race horses to boot. WOW!

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service