How many die hard trail riders do we have here?? I mean where you have your favourite trails, and love to load up the trailer and head out for a few days, camp out under the stars and have fun with your horse?
I have been riding since I was a kid, and it was either find a trail or make one, and ride it because ain't no body buying a trailer for the kids to tie mom and dad down to hauling kids butts all over Ontario just to ride for a few hours on the weekends. But once I got to working and making my own money, then things changed. Now that I am retired, I find that I am always looking for new places to ride. There is no end to where you can go, camp, ride, and see N. America framed between two horses ears.
Who cares to share some of their trial riding experiences?

Views: 289

Replies to This Discussion

Wolves!!! OMG! This is proper wild! ;-) I am sooo jealous. The wildest thing i ever see is sheep round here! He he!
Well, the time has come...I got the trailer packed with enough hay and feed for 3 weeks (I hope) lol Got enough food to feed an army. Got the horse shod today, got the trailer saftied yesterday. All I have to do tomorrow is remember the horse. lol Wouldn't that be embarassing. I am not staying in one spot, moving about every 4 days or so. I am hoping for good weater. Am I wishing for too much??? Oh yes and I have the camera all recharged and packed. I will let you know how things went when I get back home.
Time flies and I haven't checked on my post. Strawberry is 40 miles East of Park City Utah.

Years ago as I became successful at hunting elk, I learned that I didn't like packing 800lb animals off steep mountains. So I bought horses to do the work. I quickly learned that I have to ride a horse more than one week a year if I want it to perform during hunting season. I had no cows, so roping, cutting and team penning were out. I had no arena so reining and dressage were out. So I started doing just going for trail rides in the mountains that close by. Living in Utah I have high wilderness mountains for the summer and fall and I have deserts to ride in the winter and spring.

In the summer I can jump in the truck and haul the horses up into the mountains in 20 minutes. I live at 4400 foot elevation and I some of my favorite rides are at 8000 foot.. The temps will drop 15-20* inwith that elevation change. So I can leave heat behind and go cool off after work.

Here it is mid July and we still have snow 20 minutes from home. Even though it was 95* today.

I don't ride on roads. Our trails are truely trails. The main difference is whether they are maintained forest Service trails, Wild Game trails or if we are just bushwacking through the forest.

This is a deer trail

We day ride a lot. I frequently head out for a 2-3 hour after work in the evening and a couple of times a month we camp over night , highline the horse4s and just enjoy a the weekend.

What a way to live! Your shots are inspirational....viewing this regularly must sooth your soul.
Do you ever encounter critters? A critter to me is any kind of wildlife...
My husband and I vacationed in this area last year and loved it. The beauty and moderate temps were so appealing.
Are you familiar with a town Unionville...I think that was the name? It is very small but interesting and unique. I took several pictures there.
Painted Horse, well You did it now. I am green with envy. How lucky you are to be able to get to those riding areas at a moments notice. I love riding in the mountains but it is at least a 4 days drive with the horses in order for me to get there. I have not yet experienced the trails in Utah. some day maybe. Thanks for sharing your pictures, I absolutely love the first picture, what a gorgeous trail. In order for me to find a decent area of Crown Land where there are no fences or many roads at all I have to drive north all day and find a good camping spot, and there is a small 2 month window that one can safely ride with out fear of being shot out of your saddle. Before hunting season it is the flies, and bugs that you have to fight off. It is not fit for man or beast. Like I say you are truly lucky to be living and riding in your area.
The first photo is taken from the bottom view of the canyon. this is what it looks like from up on top.

We pick our way through the boulders and cliffs to climb up from the bottom to the tops.'

But thats where we ride in the colder weather, as summer arrives we head for the higher elevations and ride the mountains.

We just drive to the end of the road and park and tie the horses to the side of the trailer or highline in the trees. It's primative camping with no hookups. And usually no neighbors.

And often we just throw everything on the horses and ride until we find a good spot to fish or it gets dark and we throw up a tent.

Vacation pic of Bryce Canyon area
Wow!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
What a blessing to be able to enjoy all of this natural surroundings......
Very special!!!!!!!
Shirley
We do a May ride intoi Bryce each year. It's a beautiful area to ride.

These photos are truly amazing!!! What a BIG country! That sounds silly I know but those views are breathtaking. Beautiful doesn't even begin to describe it! And that is a serious horse trailer! No way could you tow something that long or low to the ground in this country. You would be forever getting it stuck and reversing it to get round bends in the road! Keep those photos coming! ;-) Oh - and hunting ELK!!! How cool is that? I don't even know what an elk looks like (I'm guessing I could easily find out, but let's face it you don't really need to know about elk in the UK). :-D
Rocky Mountain Elk, also known as wapati

About the size of smaller horses. 700-800 lbs
Thank you I will keep a look out for them! :-)

I am a die hard trail rider, but I don't ride... isn't that wierd? I have a 28 year old and he's just not that into it... I'm working on my relationship with Oliver, my 4 year old.... then I will buy him a saddle, then a trailer, then cya.... :) Trailriding and camping with Oliver is my retirement plan. This is my trainers trailer.. Oliver is on the right, Toby on the left... I won't leave Toby at all.. so while he is alive, Oliver and I will practice riding the trails close to home and Tob can pony with us... :)

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service