I'm just wondering what interesting non-horsey books people are reading in their "spare" time. I'm working my way through "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, for the second time. I love this book and highly recommend it. What are you reading, or have you read, that you'd recommend?

Views: 656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I got my copy from a library's discard pile. But This "Silver Brumbie" sounds intriguing!
I recently started reading a new book for the book club I belong to -- it's called "The Help" and it's by Kathryn Stockett. I'm enjoying it so far. Book club meets on Tuesday night and I'm only a third of the way through. Hope to spend some time with it this weekend. Here's a synopsis:

"Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step. Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone. Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken. Minny, Aibileens best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobodys business, but she cant mind her tongue, so shes lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own. Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed. In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way womenmothers, daughters, caregivers, friendsview one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we dont."
I'm currently reading 'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult. I like to read books slightly behind the intial fan galore so I don't encounter a, "OMG! I'm reading that book too and is it not amazing?! Don't you just love (insert character)?! And when (action with character) happens?!" I tend to view books as inspiration rather than entertainment. Which is why I read the summary to 'Chosen By a Horse' by Susan Richards and knew I had to read the book because my horse is technically a rescue horse. And it's honestly a great book for any horse or non horse person. It reminds you why you love your horse's.

I will admit I sadly fell into the Twilight saga rampage. But I fell out of it as fast as I fell in. I'm no English critic, but I'm a good enough writer to know that a page describing how a vampire teenager looks is a bit ridiculous and that when sentences have to be re-read several times for conprehension, the author is failing. Stephanie Meyer didn't impress me. If you follow books on vampires, werewolves, and all things monsters, you know she 'Frankenstein-ed' her book from some of the greats like Anne Rice and Bram Stoker. Great plot idea, bad follow through. But, I'm a vampire freak having first fallen in love with them in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Recently, I finished the book 'Tantalize' by Cythia Leitich Smith and was surprisingly impressed by her take on the whole monsters matter. With even more appreciation coming from the author's note at the end of the book.
More books I'd highly reccommend:
'Out Stealing Horses' by Per Petterson
'Dear John' by Nicholas Sparks (had to read it before seeing the movie and ended up loving it despite myself)
'The Grand Escape' by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (Little kid book, but still amazing)
and more. My bookshelf isn't next to me, so my memory is miniscule.
I'm currently reading 1984 by George Orwell...it's really great so far!
I just finished reading The Lovely Bones and found it very hard to read ( content ). I think once you have kids of your own you fear/worry about them and the what ifs. I think I will try to stay away from any abduction or murder mysteries involving kids- no point in crying your way through a book!! Just started reading Malice by Lisa Jackson and it has my full attention. Great start to a book.
I hear you on that. I read The Lovely Bones a few years ago and it was a slog -- I've pretty much forgotten the story line now -- probably forced it out of my head. I don't know. I've just started Sarah's Key and that too is a bit of a stressful read centred around the WWII round-up of Jews in Paris in July 1942. Focus is the children effected by it. I've got to finish this book in the next 10 days or so because I'm leading a discussion on it at my book club on April 27, but it's not easy-going stuff. I hope next time the club picks something a little more cheerful.
I almost picked up Sarah's Key in the library by I read the back of the book, and at the time we were learning about WWII in history. My teacher doesn't hold back on the graphics and I instantly had the pictures and videos I had seen fly through my mind to the point I couldn't get myself to read the first page of the book, knowning the outcome of many involved.
Now I'm reading "The Tenth Circle" by Jodi Picoult and it's a challenge on your morals as a reader. You start questioning things like you never have before. I even find myself looking at my life through a different point of view now, which I try to view it through at least 3 point of views daily to keep myself rational. If anyone finds they need a new book to read, I recommend this one endlessly. The personal battles of each character pulls you in.
Okay ... I give ... what are those? Inquiring minds need to know ....
You lost me ... I hope you've found it helpful ;-)
Have you got something a little more fun lined up for your next reading venture? ;-)

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service