Hi All,
I thought this might be a good way for us to get to know each ohter, and to find out where each other's strengths are.
I thought we could indroduce ourselves and say how we are certified (with wich affiliation) and what we specialized in. I'll go first;
I was certified in 2002 with the Australian Horse Riding Centers (level O). I specialized in 3-day eventing. But I am also comfortable coaching hunter/jumper and am concentrating my own riding in dressage. I can teach beginner to advanced, but prefer the middle ground intermediate students.

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

I was certified CHA english 1in 2004, I teach at a hunter/jumper barn and teach beginner to intermediate. I also train with my coach as often as 6 days a week when time allows.I love working on my flatwork but also have fun jumping. Coaching is constantly teaching me new skills.
Hi, I was certified CHA western Level 1 in 2007. I teach beginner to novice and can test beginners. We held a Kids Day Camp here at Gweek Riding Center, Telkwa, B.C., Canada, it was a huge hit. We only accepted 6 kids each week, one week beginners (first time on a horse, low confidence level) the next week was novice (those kids with some riding experience and a high confidence level), then we alternated again for the next 2 weeks. My daughter is CHA western Level 2 with English Assistant and we team teach. For each week we had a wrangler who looked after the feeding and watering of the horses because when they are in for camps they are kept in pens. We also have leaders (headers, handlers) for each horse, that way there are more eyes in the arena to watch for safety issues plus sometimes these beginners need to have someone hold the horse while they mount or help bridle or saddle also any one of these leaders can demo for us. We make sure that each leader has lots of horse experience and are interested in instructing one day. They must be confident with horses and not be afraid and know their safety inside out, that's why we use older 4H kids most of the time. We also tack up in an enclosed pen large enough for 6 horses to be tied at least 15 - 20 feet apart, just in case a horse wanders off because he wasn't tied right. This allows the student to get one on one instruction and demos and lots of supervision. My daughter and I move from horse to horse answering questions and demonstrating, reinforcing the lessons of grooming and groundwork. Once tacked up we move into the main arena where kids learn to lead the horse on their own with 8 pairs of eyes on them. Once I see their confidence level rise I will invite them to mount up, sometimes that's all we do for that lesson other times they are being led and by the end of the lesson they are riding on their own. Before and after lessons their is pen cleaning, feeding and watering which addresses the stable management lessons and within that are the safety lessons practically worked out. I love teaching beginners and realized this year a level one instructor is very important because they are the front line, the beginning place where new riders get their start, so I take my level very seriously from a safety perspective. I know I can't protect people and horses from every mishap but I can do my best to prepare in such a way that accidents can be reduced and eventually irradicated.
I agree. I have found that teaching beginners, particularly very young ones, is where experience, a sixth sense and good teaching skills are so important. There isn't a minute of those first lessons when you can take your eyes off them.

I love teaching all levels, but there are many times when I think my knowledge and experience matter more with a complete beginner - for safety's sake- than it does with a more advanced rider.

You need to be able to "read" the horse - predict and prevent problems to keep them safe, build their confidence, skill and knowledge.
I totally agree.....and from what I've seen over the years many beginners just fly by the seat of their pants so to speak and only learn safety measures when an accident occurs. That is frightening...which is why I take saftety so seriously. Some might say I'm anal about it but hey when your buddy is like 500 to 1500+ lbs one can't be too safe. Reading the horse is key and having that 6th sense is imparative.
Hi guys,
I am certified instructor for beginners. I run a lesson string af 12 and teach full time. I have designed my own interactive childs program, focusing on hands on interaction based on my years of teaching for science opertunities for kids and the University of British columbia. I teach on average 50-60 lessons per week at Lindgren stables and other farms in Kelowna, BC. I, myself ride and show dressage, jumping a little and love to trail ride on a weekly basis! I train with Lynda Ramsey and Marcie Doyle bi-monthly and of course attend any clinic I have time for or money for!!
I am on the board of directors for the kelowna riding club, have taught some 4H and pony club. We run a great theme camp schedule in the summer, tricky trail (endurance and competative trail camp), Happy hooves (beginner camp), Shimmer show (show camps), Root'n'rodeo (gymkana camp), 911 horse (vet school camp) and a couple more! I teach several biomechanic seminars and have run a horseclub on saturdays in the past. I love the idea of this sight and love that we can use eachother as instructors to help us teach our kiddlets and happy learning adults. I teach beginners to intermidiates ( up to a 2'6 and first level dressage test). I will teach some beginner western but I am not certified in it so I try to pass those on to other professional, however, Kelowna has a huge shortage of them...so it is hard sometimes to find them a spot.
Well hope to chat with you soon and pick your brains
Karen
I totally agree .....You need to be able to "read" the horse - predict and prevent problems to keep them safe, build their confidence, skill and knowledge.

That's why I feel it is so important that each and every instructor needs to ride at least once the horses they are teaching with. You need to know your working partner, especially since we are teaching feel. How can you teach that if you your self have not felt it...all horse are different and have different quarks. But once you ride it and now you are better equiped to help you rider. I ride all 12 of my lesson horse once per month to keep me current...well except my 10 hh sheltand...I am affraid I would crush him!!!!
Hi Karen,
Just wondering, I have been seriously considering the purchase of a10year old 8.3hh shetland gelding for our riding school. I have never had such a small pony, and am wondering if you find it a valuable asset to your school horse group. Do you use your pony much? Do the kids enjoy riding the little guys, or do they prefer a taller mount? Just curious on the imput of someone that has been there.
My students love the ponies, I don't have one myself but some of my helpers have brought theirs. One of my students brought hers, but found she liked to trade with the kids on the big horses. This worked out well because all the kids got to ride different horses and ponies. One of my students is only 5 and rather petite, she handles big horses very well but found it quite refreshing to ride one more her size. On riding the school horses I totally agree, I keep on top of mine once a week each, I have 6.
8.3 is very small and in all honesty shetlands can be hard mounts. It would matter how submisive that specific pony is.
The smallest mount I use is Elvis a 10 hh shetland (8 years). He does about 10 lessons per week. The younger kids like him because they can tack him up. However, he is still a shetland and can have a mind of his own at times. Plus, small ponies often have quick trots (which can scare some kids) so you must match your stronger balanced students with them for safety. These are often older riders. Elvis is a hit and jumps two feet and always places at shows. But a lot of his lessons are made on getting him to go and steer or on the lunge. Some kids can become frustrated. Again it depends on the matches. At a young stage you need every ride to be great to get the kids to stay in our sport. So, is this ponies temriment exceptional, enough to make up for his/her size?
You have to way the pros and cons of the student base you have now and which types of students would work for your pony. Does it cover his/her cost? If it does and you can still earn a little cash it could be good. How ever 8.3 hh limits the size of rider tremendously. As such I myself would not invest as he/her because they would not produce sufficient income, as 9 year old childern are often too big for Elvis (10hh). Also, consider who will do your up keep rides...will they fit on the pony?
Although ponies are imortant, I would suggest you find one in the 11-13 hh range as they can cover more riders and produce a more sustainable income, unless this pony has a golden nature (ie trots on command and stops 98% of the time, is easy to stear, tack up and does not bite, lunges like a dream and is easy to catch)
Hope this helped Karen Bohna
Hi Karen,
Thanks for your imput. I am actually intrested in the pony because I have a "kindergroup" of kids aged 4-6.None of them of course are overly experianced and all have short attention spans so we only use one pony at a time on the lead, and the lesson only lasts about half hour. Basically this group is to get the kids comfortable around horses/ponies, not really to master their equestrian skills. I liked the thought of this pony being small eanough for them to groom and practice tacking up and such. He does seem to be an exceptionally well behaved pony and has no vices. He leads like a dream and was a lead-line show pony for the current owners 2 year old!!! Yikes!
Having said that, you are right that it does limit the usage that I can get from him, that's why I wanted another opinion. He is also trained to drive wich could make him more useful however.
Anyways, thanks for your imput. I do take my school horses very seriously.
R

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service