Do you trim your horse's feathers or leave them long?

Views: 95

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to leave them long, but they get kinda scabby, so I clip. It takes forever though, because they are so thick!
Calendua oil might help wsith the scabby areas. See a bit more on it in the thread on drafts and alleries.
I'm Really Getting Interested in the Beautiful Draft Crosses and whether to CLIP or go ala Natural has run through my mind more then once.
In showing .. I should think remaining "True" to the particular breed standard would be Right.
But lots of Thick wavey mane .. and those Long Flowing feathers really do go Completely against most of the showing "Class Standards"

In shopping for my own Drafty Cross, I'm getting acquainted with people who raise, show, and market the pure breeds ... it's amazing to me how Beautifully groomed those manes, tails, and feathers can be!!
(I'm sure the grooming time involved to prepare for a class must be incredible!)
But I haven't decided yet .. weather I'd personally prefer to show (as I've always been accustomed to) ... hunter braid, legs wrapped and taped, etc ...... or go the Draft Breed look.

Is there anyone here actually competing with their Draft Cross???
What do You do??

I wonder what conventional Hunter/Jumper/Dressage judges feel with regards to the Drafties and what they'd like to see in the way of "Show" presentation?
~ Barby
I have a clyde/morgan cross and apart from a bridle path, his jaw hairs and the little tufts at the base of his ears I don't mess with the rest. He doesn't have a lot of feather, just enough to channel away the rain like the tip of a leaf does. He looks like a "man's man" if you know what I mean. He's got the "war horse" look down pat.
OHhhhhhh ... Post a Piccie!!! ;-)
Question, do You show your Clyde/Morgan cross??
How big is he??
Have you owned him long??
Thanks
~ Barby
Hi Barb - Just by coincidence I'm just trying to rig up some kind of "holder" for my cameras for the outdoor arena to do that very thing! I've got some money set aside to get a tripod but I don't want to rush in and buy the wrong thing without researching it first; I know zilch about them! The pic in my avatar is from last year but I wanted to get some of both horses and I today if possible.
I would say that he's a conservative 16.1H; I'm not quite 5'1'' so he seems plenty big to me LOL! And I brought him home out of a bad situation when he was 3 months old not really expecting him to live but he rallied and has thrived ever since. He'll be 13 the end of July. I've never shown with him; but we have a wonderfully rich partnership together just the same. Maybe we will someday, even a little schooling show for senior riders; just for fun.
I took a couple shots of my beastie's feathers when I gave him his lunch
Attachments:
Mine is a Perch X Morgan, and has very little feathering. i clip her legs, though, because when it's wet....it STAYS wet. I prefer her out each day, and rug her accordingly....or not.
I show , so I clip her legs, trim ears & face and pull the mane. She is pretty But I'm not one bit biased. Not one bit.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service