The Claremont Riding Academy was the last riding school in Manhattan. It was originally built in 1892 as a livery stable before eventually becoming a riding academy.
Horses were stabled in the basement and second floor of the building. The riding arena was fairly small and a clear path was obstructed by numerous posts around the arena. Nevertheless, for decades it served as a learning environment for hundreds of riders. While there was no room for boarding, more experienced riders were permitted the opportunity to take a horse out to hack in Central Park, which was a block and a half navigation through New York City traffic. Those who took to lessons were coached in private or group lessons in show jumping
The stable eventually went under a $2 million renovation to fix and adjust deterioration. Sadly, because of the costs, lessons fees went up and ridership declined. It closed on April 29th, 2007 at 5pm after 115 years of service. The school’s horses were sold to students of the academy, donated to Yale’s riding team, retired to green pastures or sent to the Potomac Horse Center
Despite the closing of the Claremont Riding Academy, there is still riding within New York City, just not in Manhattan. The majority of students have since transferred to either the Riverdale Equestrian Center
in the Bronx, Twin Lake Farm
in Bronxville or Kensington Stables