well...does anyone have any tips? I have two regitserd thoroughbreds and I am retrainning them to be hunt seat horses. One is very laidback, Banner the gray in the pictures...little bit of a fircracker!

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you working with a good, patient trainer right now? I have always found that quiet, consistent schooling sessions, as well lessons with someone knowledgeable on the ground are the way to go.
wow! that sounds like very good advice! And yes, he and she are very patient!
Oohh the joy of retraining!! I've got a problem one myself right now - a green pony that's 14 years old and very much set in his ways! He doesn't know what corners are, has been allowed to do whatever he wants all these years and now his owners want to turn him into a hunter?? I've got my work cut out for me...
The best advice I can give you: PATIENCE!!
I'm sure you already know that, but it's something I have to remind myself of on those particularly frustrating days... Repetition, praise praise praise and keeping calm even when nothing seems to be going right - it may take a while depending on the horse, but it all seems to work out in the end!
Are your guys OTTBs? I retrained one a couple of years back into a hunter (ended up being sold as a dressage horse) and teaching him to relax was the biggest thing with him. He raced until he was 7 or something and the slightest tension from the rider set him off big time.

I agree with Barbara too - someone on the ground can be very helpful! Sometimes we don't know how our bodies are reacting to certain situations and a simple reminder to sit up a bit more or relax your elbows a touch can make all the difference!
Good luck!
Thanks that is so helpful!
"you have to be firm and quick to beat them up for trying to hurt you,"

are you serious?? That's the last thing a horse like that needs. You should never "beat up" on your horse, even if they're frustrating you. Like the other posters said, PATIENCE is the virtue here. You have to understand that OTTB's training/riding is a LOT different than for a hunt seat horse... Just think of what you're actually trying to ask them. You can be firm/clear without "beating them up". Be clear and consistent, give them time to adjust and relax. If possible, try to stay as relaxed as possible, and don't try to just make them round... They can be long and low; stretching their muscles, without you being without control.

Just try to be as calm and patient as possible. For the firecracker especially, it would be a good idea to talk, calmly, to him while you're riding, in a gentle, low voice. Some horses really respond to that, or at least it helps assure them.

Good luck with your two! =)
lots and lots of flatwork.. i find jumping comes quite natural to most of the thoroughbreds and they really enjoy it.. its usually the flat inbetween. :)

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service