Interesting brochure on the OEF group page tallking about helmets and rider injury statistics.
http://www.horse.on.ca/safety.html
I work with a coach and a clinician, both of whom are Olympic competitors in dressage (one is a medal winner) and both ride with helmets every time they get on the horse. With them setting the example, virtually all of their students ride with helmets as well. It's easier to get a helemt on your head than dressage boots on your feet, so what is stopping people from wearing helmets? Are they embarrassed? Afraid that it will seem uncool?

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never used to wear a helmet - always thought it was uncool and totally uncalled for - til I took a spill on my 2 year old that whirled around when he got spooked and I went flying. Luckily it was my thigh that hit the rock and not my head, or I wouldn't be putting out this blog. I wear a helmet *all* the time now and will not allow anyone riding with me not to either. Takes 2 sec. and could save your life.
I guess its much a matter of not everyone, self included, not being convinced of the need. I've never worn a helmet, except, with this current thoroughbred mare I have on her pms days. She's still a training handful.

Outside of that, it's much a matter, I think, of your confidence level in yourself and your horse, and whether or not you much put your faith in the Behaviour Police. "Cause wearing a helmet is not particularly a guarantee of much, maybe ask, Chistopher Reeve. The Behaviour Police ain't never going to squeeze all the risk out of life, whatever their service to those economic interests what want to sell you something more, like a helmet, say for example.

That all said, like I said at the beginning, there are those horses, and you know who you are, like in my case with this thoroughbred, where wearing a helmet might help a tad. :-) With the emphasis on "might".

You kids though! Put your damn helmet on, just 'cause we adults say so. You can decide for yourself later, when you're an adult. :-)
I always ride with my Helmet now that I have a younger horse.
I used to never ride with one but my horse in France was very mellow and I rode her bareback and sometimes barefeet... for the last 7 years of her riding carrier, the wild and simple side of it was my way to go. Now I have a totally different horse and trails in BC are much narrower than the one I had in the Alps in France, so HELMET mandatory from now on for me.
I already used it twice! I was very happy to have it on my head!

I found that my hairs get less caught into the branches than before, it is great!

It is actually the first thing I bought the day I bought my gelding in Canada. Everyone should do the same, depending what kind of riding you do...and where you go, I believe!@...people choose for their heads. It is like skiing...!
I never get on a horse I don't know without a helmet.

When I am working with babies, I always wear a helmet, whether I know them or not.

I never jump without a helmet.

The only time I ride without a helmet is when I am riding a horse that is older and I have been riding him/her for years and have a trust built up. And usually I'm not doing much arena work with these types of horses.

I think it has to do with the "Ugh I'll look stupid" or "Man I'm the only one with a helmet"

I've been in wrecks where My helmet broke but my head was still intact, which proves their importance.
wear a helmet!!! i think i look retarded if i dont have a helmet, western and english... think of it this way, you wont be very embarresed when your head cracks in 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not riding with a helmet is stupid i love me helmet its white so it doesn't attract the heat..
i've had my fair times of being dumped from a horse and i always wear a helmet.. I thought i didn't need it when i was riding the older horses but even they spook and can dump you no matter the experience or age of the horse i wear my helmet
I'm a true beliver that no horse is predictable, just like humans they have their "off" days. All horses/ponies are at risk of tripping, slipping or stumbling. My helmet is my best friend and I wouldn't be without it. I have Godchildren and I belive in teaching them a good example. I have made it a rule in my yard contract that no-one is to ride without a helmet and no-one under the age of 18 should ride without a body protector.
I have had a few falls and hit my head on a couple of occasions (my friends belive this explains a lot about how bonkers I am!!) I belive my hat saved me from serious injury and swear by it.
Would you drive without a seat belt or skydive without a parachutte? I wouldn't, hence I dont ride without my helmet.
I have ALWAYS worn a helmet - EVEN in the '70's and '80's... I have had my share of falls but never any serious injuries - THANK GOODNESS!!
no i dont wear a helmet when doing basic riding (like out on trails or what ever) but if i am jumping or something i would wear one
Hi Rose,
It is very sad to see that you do not wear a helmet. I hope luck is with you, as it would be horrible for the people around you to either lose you to a broken skull or to have to take care of you in a vegetable state for the rest of your life. It will be too late to wish you had worn it once the freak accident happens. Love yourself enough to take care of yourself. Shit happens even to the very best riders.
umm it really isnt that sad that i dont wear a helmet i trust the horses i work with maybe u dont have that kind of trust with your horse but the horses ive been on have never done anything to doubt my trust in them and so far im not a vegetable and not everyone not wearing a helmet dies in a freak accident have you ever been trail riding? the only way u would get to wear a helmet is if you brought your own, and no one gets hurt. but thanks for telling me ill die or become a vegetable that is always nice to hear from a complete stranger
Dear Rose, I wrote only to give you an advise. You can decide to take it or not- it is up to you of course. I trust my horses very much also but I know that there circumstances that are out of our control and those are the time we need our helmets. We just never know when something can happen. That is why these accidents are called "freak accidents".
Sorry if I offended you- it was not meant that way!
Best regards,
Siri

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service