Please wish us luck in Melbourne for Tomorrow, In 1983 we had a massive fire that cost 75 lives and 100's of homes. Our forcast is 43 celcius and extreme winds. Our fire authority has put out a warning that this is the worst conditions since that terrible day. I was 12 at the time and everywhere you looked there was ash, smoke and the skies were orange, I am very nervous. We will be unrugging, plaiting horses tails today and making sure every horse is in the safest paddock possible.

Views: 771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sending prayers to you and the horses. I live in a wildfire area & I know how airborne pine has blown into my yard and set things alight. Thanks goodness you're caring for the horses' tails. I just cringed when I read that.
Hope you're not suffering too much in the smoke, either.
Hugs to all,
Terri
181 now confirmed dead. 5000 homeless. 330,000 hectares or 815,440 acres burnt. There is a confirmed arsonist in our area. The police are searching for him. I was not able to get my horses out today. The person who was going to move them had to move other horses in more urgent threat. I will get them out tomorrow. It is going to heat up again in the next few days and the winds will blow fires back towards us at the same time. The threat for most towns are down tonight. I hope they can get strong containment lines back in place. The trouble with where the fires are burning is the terrain is very difficult to access. Fire fighters are coming in from overseas to assist.
Rebecca have been reading your comments on here and wish you all the best in these coming days.
I live in the Dandenongs and remember vividly the Ash Wednesday bushfires as a child and it just terrifies me to this day. Although our area is not in danger I have been sleeping in my clothes with my phones by my side, a torch and a constant stream of news.I think I am hearing the sirens all the time and this morning I was terrified when I heard what I thought was a blaze in the backyard only to find out it was a dog trotting through the crunchy dry leaves.We have had a few minor scares this week and I do believe there was an arsonist around here on Sat as there were about ten fires supposedly lit.Luckily we are fairly built up and they were spotted early. I hate to think what may have happened if they were not .It is SO DRY!!
I really do wish you all the best and if you need anything at all just let me know I will do anything I can to help.
Where are you in the Dandenongs? Gembrook is in trouble and with the changing winds..... My sisters home is in Cockatoo and I am scared she will lose it. My horses are going to Hastings. My friends down there have rallied to provide room if needed. If you should need to evacuate please contact me.
Rebecca thankyou so much for your offer. I am in the Belgrave area so no threat from the current fires. The fire plan at my agistment was implemented on Saturday due to the Harkaway fires which are safe now. Thank God.
My friend lives in Macclesfield not far from Cockatoo ,she is evacuating her horses today. That is one less thing she has to worry about.Concerns in that area are for this weekend.If your sister or you need anything let me know. Like I said we are under no threat here for now and have many escape routes should things change .
My goodness, I've been reading this thread (in the UK) with tears running down my face. All I can offer is my own hope for a swift resolution to this devastation. I cannot comprehend the fear that you guys must be going through, my heart really does go out to you.
I have everything crossed that the rain will come to help, and that those responsible for starting the fires which are causing such hell on earth will be found...xxx
The death toll has not risen overnight thank god. I am amazed that I have spoken to many of the aggisters and most of them will leave their horses where they are. The weekend and Monday are looking dangerous where we are. That is without the fire bug. There are still 25 fires burning out of control, with fronts of nearly 200 k's. It's amazing that even though it has cooled right down recently, the main fires are still creating there own weather and continuing to burn. The stories of death and survival are incredible. Australia is an amazing place and the way that neighbours and communities have rallied and supported each other, truely shows our spirit. People knew that their houses were gone and continued to fight and try to save neighbours properties. One family was trying to save their home, when they realised that 2 fire fronts were approaching them. They ran inside, the father realised that the water pressure had dropped, he went back out and the rest of the family covered themselves with fire blankets. Within seconds the house exploded from the heat. The rest of the family ran back outside and jumped in the pool with fire blankets covering them. They survived but of course the father did not make it.
Hi Rebecca, I spent the day yesterday helping at the Red Cross putting together food & clothing parcels, they are going to be send Friday by truck. Duncan Mcfetridge MP is putting together 1000 bags of chaff to go on Saturday, so I'll go and see if I can help with that tomorrow. So relief is coming your way fairly quickly. Hopefully the weather will be kind , and they can catch the bloody terrorist that's lighting the fires!
You are a wonderful man. I don't have a lot but have donated what I can. They are saying today that they are worried that the fires are going to join and create a super fire. When the winds turn notherly it will blow it straight back down. I am waiting on a call saying that my friend is coming to pick up my horses. I want to get them out before all hell breaks loose again. They are scared that 1 in 5 people died in Marysville. That is the most horrific thought. I hope they are wrong.
Whoever lit these fires should be up for mass murder! And, in my opinion, locked up for the rest of their lives and taken to burns units every week to help out.
We are all putting together some money, food, clothing etc to send over as well. Lots of old horse gear too. I just cant imagin what it would be like. You poor, poor buggers! Good luck. I hope you fair better than most.
My horses are safely moved. The fire that has been threatening them has intensified this afternoon.I have warned people up there again and hopefully they will follow me today. The police have made an arson arrest. I hope they catch all of them and charge them with murder. Fires that were put out were re-lit. 65 million dollars has been raised so far for bush fire victims. Thats not bad for a population of 20 million
Hi there!

Just wondering how things are down your way now. Hope everyone's safe and sound.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service