I would love to hear from anyone who has used their Arab for dressage - what were your successes and what were some of the things you had difficulty with>
Kelli

Views: 128

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kelli,

I am currently showing two Arabians in Dressage.

An 8 year old gelding that is a wizz in lateral work, but generaly a bit lazy. Hope to show him second level this year.

The other horse is a 16 year old mare. Very flighty! Great when her head is in the game, but since that is not always the case, we are still at first level.
I had an anglo arab gelding who was trained western pleasure/reining and halter. He was very talented on his laterals and flying changes. I bought him for dressage. He trained right up to Intermediare. His movement were all technically correct but, from years of restricted movement in the jog, he never really swung or had cadence to his movement. Either way, that horse trained me how to canter pirouette and to 2-tempis and he was absolutely fantastic!
I show Arabs in USDF/USEF open shows. Have done very well. My problems are generally pilot error!!
I am riding three Arabs in dressage - my horse is trained through I-1 and has six National titles. The second horse is solid first level schooling second, and the third I just started in dressage. He had been a country pleasure horse and is really showing talent for dressage. I have shown both at open USDF shows and at Arab breed shows.

The hardest thing I've experienced for Arabs is getting them to take longer slower steps instead of short quick ones. That can mainly be due to tension in the neck and back, but once they relax and learn how to come through their backs you can get fantastic movement. Other than that I think they have many of the same issues as other breeds, like being crooked or stiff to one side. Except I personally think Arabs are smarter and have a better work ethic than other breeds! But I've been riding Arabs for 27 years so I'm a little biased. :)
Hey! I am showing an 8 year old arabian gelding right know. I am finding it very successfull with him. We have won champion and got high scores :) in schooling shows ... this year i will be going a step higher to try silver shows and see how we do :)

I find getting my horse to extend his hard but he is only a pony with short legs so that may be why.
Other than that we are very successful together! :)
Hi!! I have a half Arab that I do Dreassage with! Unfortunately he had last year off due a severed extensor tendon. I started riding him again in March and he was awesome. Tracking up and sound! Couldn't have asked for more!!!!!!
The Arabian Horse Association is having thier May Show starting on Thursday with Dressage and Arabian Sport Horse classes on Thursday There are 74 rides in the Dressage ! and 84 Arabian Sport Horses to be shown , Arabian Dressage is definately alive and well in British Columbia! Good Luck Everyone!
Thw weather for this Dressage and Sport Horse Day ws fantastic!!! a great job by our Judges Dale Irwin, Larry Brinker, and Jan blackhall, who single handedly did all of the Sport Horses! Thankyou also to our vouleeters Kathrine Gilker and Britni Signalet (whom I might add does not have an arabian, so nice of her to step in when needed MUCH APPRECIATED)

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service