Interesting brochure on the OEF group page tallking about helmets and rider injury statistics.
http://www.horse.on.ca/safety.html
I work with a coach and a clinician, both of whom are Olympic competitors in dressage (one is a medal winner) and both ride with helmets every time they get on the horse. With them setting the example, virtually all of their students ride with helmets as well. It's easier to get a helemt on your head than dressage boots on your feet, so what is stopping people from wearing helmets? Are they embarrassed? Afraid that it will seem uncool?

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately there is a stigma, perpetuated by otherwise sensible people who should know better. It only takes a split second for an accident to occur, and even the most experienced riders can be caught out.

I know I'd rather have 'hat hair' than brain damage, thanks!
I normally dont ride my horse with a helmet because she is bomb proof and i mean yah I do jump and call me stupid but thats just they way I like to ride. I'd rather ride in a ball cap then a helmet, but when I have a lesson with a coach i definatly wear a helmet because it is policy at the barn I ride at.
It has never even crossed my mind not to wear one. I think if I didn't wear my helmet it would feel weird to be riding. Its just like putting on a seatbelt in a car. You do it for the reason of safety. Maybe there needs to be laws about it just like with seatbelts so there is no option not to!
I agree that all should wear a helmet.
Kathy
I always wear a helmet. This spring I fell off in the driveway and got a concussion. I don't even remember getting on the horse in the first place never mind what spooked her. I was on my way to getting right back on but ended up in an ambulance instead. Might not look cool but brain damage isn't too cool either
Wearing a helmet is like putting your seat belt on in your car...everyone has an opinion on weather or not it will save your life. I would not ride with-out one and neither do my kids or anyone that rides on my property.
A few years ago the Rockwood Trail Riders started to approch the organizers of the Ontario Youth Team Tournament to make helmets manditory in all classes. Keep in mind that they use Amarican QH judges so this was something that was going to be hard as they NEVER wear helmets. In the past we felt our kids wearing them were no placing because of the helmet. I have never really been able to figure it out but the Youth Team really put up a fuss and did not make to rule change - how ever they did stipulate to the judges that is was not to be judged against. My question is why is the rule inforced at all the Club shows but once the child is invited to be part of the Youth Team all of a sudden they are to good to wear a helmet??? I am not sure it makes a lot of sence at all.
OEF had a photo contest for their new broucher on riding with a helmet and I am please to say that a collage of 5 of our RTR Youth Team Members - all wearing helmets - won the competition. We try to set an example and we are proud to wear them.
all the time, I feel naked if I forget to wear it, and about 6 months ago I bought a safety vest and now am so used to wearing it also that I feel like Im missing something if I dont, the only time I dont wear the vest is at shows.
After all the research that has been done on the long term effects of brain injuries, it "blows" my mind that anyone would even consider getting on a horse (or pony) without one. It does not matter the age or level of the horse- shit happens! Any respected proffesional or any other rider who wants to be regarded as a good athleet and ambassador for their sport has no reason what so ever to not put that helmet on each and every time they ride- even if it is just to get on for 5min to demonstrate something. If I was to ever catch a rider at my farm without a helmet, that rider would be out in a flash without a second chance!
Siri
I always ride with my helmet even if I just flat work. To me spending hundreds of $$ on a helmet is the most valuable expense off all. You only have one head!

Regarding messy hair and sweaty head, I found that the GPA Speed’Air is a good solution for that (moreover, it protects the higher part of your neck). But I don’t think it would be accepted in dressage – the look is very sportive.
I'm another person who has had a few concussions even with a helmet, but I do admit that I have ridden without a helmet and a couple of those times on horses that were less than safe. Not a good idea, but I did it and those times I survived. No point in trying to justify it, it happened and I don't think I'll be doing it again.

A story that shows just how easily we can be irreversibly damaged: One lady at WEF this year fell out of her golf cart while a friend was driving, hit her head, was a vegetable. Gone. Just like that.
I wear my helmet whenever I ride or do any kind of training from the ground. I even wear my hat when handling new or unpredictable horses/ponies. I belive in the motto "Better safe than sorry" I don't care if I look daft, at least I'm safe. I'd rather look like a wally than risk a serious head injury or even worse!
I always ride with a helmet - and I always drive with my seatbelt on. There are things in life worth dying for and then there are the silly and unnecessary ways to kick the bucket. I would feel pretty stupid dying or losing my mobility for the sake of my vanity.

Cat

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service