What is everyone's feeling when it comes to trail riding with your horse that you do arena + competition work on?

I've heard some people say it ruins the horse.

My opinion is that it gives these horses a break. Something new to look at. Kind of like recess for a kid in school.

Thoughts?

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My horse is trained through the Prix St. Georges and we hack almost every day, either before or after we do our schooling. Some days we just hack. I train with an Olympic rider and every horse in our barn - including her Olympic horse - hacks through woods, and fields, over bridges, etc. The horses love it, we love it and (unfortunately) the flies love it!

Great topic, by the way!
all our arena horses after we do arena work we take them for trail rides they love it and its something diffrent to look at then sand a jump or a fence, there either kept in a barn or pasture same thing everyday and when they get out on the trail its new and it tends to relax our horses,
i got a mare a few years back who had never been out of the arena she was the sourest thing i'd ever ridden after 3 rides on the trail she was a toatally diffrent horse they love trails as much as kids love candy,
its a treat to them after there hard work they get a nice easy trail ride,
plus it builds muscle while climbing hills :)
It's the greatest gift you can give your arena horse. You are right about giving the horse a break. Everybody needs a change in their routine, and horses are no different than we are.

I'll bet you will notice a difference in his entire attitude.
I pasture my horses, work in an outdoor arena and after each work session we go for a trail ride. Like others have said before it relaxes them, it is a treat for them, they love it and one more thing I can add is they become a better team member for you. It's not the same old same old all the time.
I'm another big fan of trail riding competition horses. At the moment my dressage mare is being a bit lazy at the start of a schooling session so I am lungeing her to warm up, then hopping on & going for a gallop in the fields before starting schooling under saddle.

Only problem I find is that I don't do enough of it outside our land so the horses can be a bit silly when they go out, so I don't enjoy it as much. I really need to decide to take them all on the trail every day for a fortnight to get them to be handy trail horses who cope with plastic bags in hedges, mud & all the other things you don't meet in the arena.

My stallion is coming back into work & I am waiting for the farrier to put some shoes on. He is my favorite to hack out as he is braver than the others & at 17 hands I can be nosey when riding through the village as you can see over the high walls!
I agree with everyone here, trail riding is fun for both horse and rider and it build muscles from hill work. It's good for both mind and body, new scenery is great stimulation and yes even the bugs love it!! Stupid bugs!!
ive strted trainin my horse 4 big sj shows but id always try take him out on a trek so he cn ave a break nd go 4 a gud gallop rather den doin circles nd jumpin de whole tym coz den he gets bored!!!!!!!!!!!! takin him on treks keeps him intrested!!!!!!!!
Trail Riding has become the way to 'destress' horses especially those under a lot of show ring pressure!! Horses need to relax just like us people. There are are even some videos out on cross-training dressage horses for trail riding! You can find one on www.twohorseenterprises.com. Plus others......
Barn Mouse
Well, my perspective might be a bit different than others on this as I DO NOT compete in arena competition with my mare...but rather the trail IS our competitve arena since we do CTR and endurnace.

I know a barrel racer at my barn who occasionally takes her mare out on the trails and she comments her mare always seems more relaxed after a trail ride, even just a short one.

Now...being as the trail is my competitive venue....I actually do ARENA work with my mare for a change of pace...namely dressage as the skills we learn in dressage also make her a more efficient mover on the trail and improve our horse / rider communication.

I look at it this way...none of us like to do the same thing every day with no variety...why should our horses be any different?

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service