Anky to take up reining! How do you think she'll do??

Watch out western riders - there's new competition on the horizon. Olympic dressage gold medalist Anky van Grunsven says she'd like to compete in both dressage and reining at the 2010 World Equestrian Games.

Anky apparently received a western saddle as a gift during an Olympic celebration party, and has been taking reining lessons after schooling her own horses, with her neighbour Rieky Young, in Vorstenbosch in The Netherlands.

"I don't have my own reining horse," she told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. "I'm testing a few horses at Rieky's. I first want to feel which horse fits me. The sliding and turning, which make the sport so spectacular, are easy to teach. The hard bit is the basis and that everything happens only with one hand. I notice that I think too much when I train with Rieky. The fun bit is that Rieky is not afraid to shut up. Besides Sjef, not many people dare to correct me when I'm riding a horse. Rieky is not bothered by that."

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way to go Anky!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing you out there in the reining pen! :-)
Fantastically and in a very balanced and beautiful way :-)
Now that would be something to see!
I suppose, it is yet another way to generate more cash for both Anky & the Reining Folk no matter which way it goes. So great forward thinking & promotion! Go for it Anky!
If you'd like to take a look at Anky reining, she had a go with Monty Roberts, a few years back at a big horse event in the Netherlands. You can watch it on YouTube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FKen-5vpk

I know very little about western riding, so I can't comment on how good she may be at it, but she looks like she did OK on the video...

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service