I have a small stable of 8 horses. 2 are my own, and the rest are boarders. I've kept horses for the past 6 years. The stable I kept my horse at previously no longer boards horses because it doesn't make any money. I take pride in my care, and can only cut so many corners, as I need to ensure quality feed, care and safety.

I am raising my board, but still in number crunching, I'm finding I am not getting anything for the 3-5hrs/day I spend cleaning, repairing, handling etc. Do any of you make money at it? Do you make any more by keeping more horses and buying supplies in larger quantities? Or do we just do this for our own pleasure. I'm seriously debating ridding of boarders (except one). So I can have a bit more of a life of my own. Then if I ever wanted to take a vacation, it's not so much work for the person to help out too. What do any of you who may keep or board horses think?

Views: 15674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an excellent question. At the barn where I ride, there are over 20 horses. The head instructor, who is also the owner of the farm, has small children and to re-direct her time, has leased out the barn. I had always thought that the boarding was meant to cover costs and the lessons were the money-makers. That being said, it seems that the person who is leasing will be making some money.
Have you considered leasing, so that you don't have to be in charge of everything?
I've thought about leasing, but I get so concerned with the care, even if it isn't my responsibility anymore, and even moreso, safety. Maybe I just worry too much...

I've also considered a co-op style barn, but then people would expect to pay less in that type of situation. I'm finding that the board only just covers costs. As of Jan. 1st my board will be $320 with only an outdoor ring, no indoor. But to cover my time, or the cost to pay someone else, I'd have to charge $450, which doesn't sound reasonable for a facility with only an outdoor ring (although a very good quality one at that).
The barn where I ride charges $450 and has no indoor ring. Where I live (outside Atlanta) $450 is very reasonable, even on the less expensive side.
I always heard that lesson, shows and other extras like clipping, etc. were the things that made all of the money. Especially since the price of hay and shavings keeps going up.
a friend of mine sent me this link, basically the same discussion topic, definitely sheds some light on us who try to board horses for a 'reasonable rate':

http://www.equiman.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Numbe...
I would raise your board if it is not meeting your needs. Maybe write up on paper, stating all the costs, and calculate what it is you need to either break even, or have a wage etc... I pay 150.00 self board but when it is all done and over with for the rest of the costs it runs me 350.00 that's not including my cleaning time, and gas to get there. which fortunately is not too expensive because I do live only aprox 5 min away.
Thanks Bev, that is roughly my cost per horse also. I think small scale or larger scale farm seems to be similar. Because there are some items I can buy at a better price if I stay small, but other items are better to buy larger qty, so they tend to even out either way.
I have decided that I want my time back anyway, so I can spend more time with my horses and go to clinics and shows this year. So I am cutting out boarders and just keeping my own and one boarder. I think if I ever had to go back to boarding my horses elsewhere, i would have a whole new appreciation for what I get for my $.
totally raise your board if the squeeze is on, just type up a letter and break the costs down on paper for your boarders..they'll understand. Life is getting expensive! Everyone knows that..
I only board 1-2 horses on my property & it's a bit different... it's field board where the horses are separated (except my geldings & if the boarders get along together) and they get rotated from their quite large grassy paddock to the large grassy field (depending on weight/condition/needs). In the winter, my boarders provide their OWN HAY & any grain/supplements they wish I feed.

I had originally started by INCLUDING hay (not grain/supplements) and I lost money with the super-eater higher-need/feed boarding horse... he alone ate the same as TWO of my own geldings or more! So I dropped my board to DISCLUDE hay. This makes a huge difference.

So my board includes: dewormer, I feed when/what the boarder wants (their feed), outdoor riding arena, access to lots of trails, use of my tack room, the odd brushing & manners training, field/fence maintenance/management.

Boarder brings their own feed & must keep up on vaccines & hoof care. If a boarder does some EXTRA work on my farm I sometimes discount their board off the previous month. I also discount board a bit if the 2 boarders are owned by the same person/family & can live together in one paddock... that gives me the option to board another horse in the empty paddock.

Our prices in the Kootenays are WAYYYYY different, lol. On average, outdoor board is around $100-$175, a bit more if it includes hay (maybe $200-$250). Again, it varies though. If there's a barn/stalls & an indoor, price is higher.

BOTTOM LINE: You can make some money if the boarder provides their OWN feed. =) You CANNOT rely on the income, as there is not always someone waiting in line to fill the empty space if a boarder leaves.
I like your boarding system! How long have you been doing it?
It's been only about 3 years... and an ON-GOING learning process. =)
But sometimes gives me a riding buddy as a BONUS. haha
I have had horrible luck with boarding--One case in point. I took in a horse to "winter" so he could gain weight--and that he did. He ate, and ate, and chewed and chewed when he wasn't eating...let's just say he was a very high maintenence horse. The worst part was when winter was over and he went off to the full-fledged-barn with all the amentities (I got very attached.)

I gave up on my idea to board--now my dream goal is to run a non-profit retirement home and BLM sanctuary. I view it like loaning out money--If you loan it, you expect it back-to break even. As for my future dream., it's a gift in which we all benefit vs. a loan..I'll never expect anything in return except for love from the horses as I give them a home for life and to the end.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service