Does anyone here use a bitless bridle? Do you like it? I'm thinking of ordering Dr. cooks but not sure.

Views: 161

Replies to This Discussion

I depend on your horses and your skill level
Hi, ladies!

I guess for me the problem with a bitless bridle, and lots of the Parelli stuff is that I have to compete in a bridle with a bit, so I have to find a way through the issue(s) with a bridle and a bit. Usually the problem lies with the rider, and most often with too much ambition and goal-setting in timelines which are too tight. If riders are willing to take the time required to accustom horses to bridles/bits (and they all work on different timelines) and do some experimentation with connection etc. horses usually work through just fine.

Be careful of coaches whose response is to crank up nosebands until you can't get them undone without pliers - that's not the answer either. If that kind of thing is necessary then there's something wrong with the training approach, and it needs examination and modification.

My 5 year old Trakehner mare used to like to spit the bit (and who wouldn't??) and a crescent noseband adjusted properly (so she can still easily chew sugar cubes) over a Sprenger KK Ultra and TIME has taken care of the problem. She's been ridden forward in a light connection and has now relaxed and accepted the bridle. It has take 2 years for her, while it only took weeks for my Dutch mare, but those are their individual needs and characteristics...
What is the Parelli stuff exactly, and why does it seem to be a bit controversial? Some people love it and some hate it. I don't know anything about it, but it is talked about a lot.
Good question. I would also be interested in an answer. I know there are games, and seven levels?? Don't know enough to comment. Have always done things the old fashioned way. Time and patience.
The natural horsemanship lessons that I was taking were Parelli. Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with it - LOL

They start with a lot of classroom work; learning the names of the seven games, plus all of Pat Parelli's terminology...like "savvy" and "if you take the time it takes, it takes less time", plus, "the seven keys to success", as well as other theories he has.

Then you move on to the games themselves: Friendly Game (where you teach the horse not to fear being touched all over their body - use your hands, the "carrot stick", etc.). There are different "levels" to that, from rubbing the horse with the carrot stick, to "extreme Friendly Game" where you stand in front of the horse and whip the carrot stick (with "Savvy String") back and forth on the ground, all around the horse...and it just stands there, unafraid.

Porcupine Game is next, where you apply pressure with either your fingers or the carrot stick, to teach your horse to move away from the pressure. As soon as they move, you release the pressure.

Driving Game is when you teach your horse to move away or move part of its body away by using gesture, not physical contact. For instance, shaking your finger to ask a horse to back up, rather than shaking the lead rope.

Yo-Yo Game comes next. This is where you shake your finger at the horse to back up. If it doesn't respond, you wiggle the lead rope a bit, using your wrist ('flick' your wrist) to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you in increase the wiggle at the elbow. If that doesn't help, then you go to "phase four" (another Parelli term) and wiggle the rope from your shoulder. By this time, the horse is getting clunked in the chin by the snap on the lead rope, so it is very uncomfortable. Horses don't like discomfort, so they quickly learn to respond to the gentlest cue. After your horse backs up away from you, you "comb" the rope with your hands and draw him back to you.

After that comes the Circle Game. You ask the horse to back away from you, then ask him to walk or trot or canter in a circle around you. This is to teach your horse to maintain gait. You stand in the middle of the circle and don't move - you pass the lead rope behind your back rather than spin in a circle. If the horse breaks the gait, you increase your energy and tap the ground with your carrot stick and ask him to go back to the gait he'd been doing. It's not lunging though.

Then is the Sideways Game. As the name indicates, that's when you teach the horse how to sidestep.

Last, but not least, is the Squeeze Game. That's when you step about four feet (or whatever you want) away from a wall or fence and have your horse walk between you and the barrier. You can also have the horse walk between barrels or bales or whatever you want. Because horses are naturally claustrophobic, it is helpful to teach them this. Helps with trailer loading, walking through gates when you're mounted, squeezing through tight spaces on trail rides, etc..

Everything you teach your horse on the ground can be applied while you are riding. There are certain areas used for the pressure and release during the games, that coincide with foot placement when you are mounted, and so on.

It really helps build a strong relationship between you and your horse on the ground.

Parelli also came up with the Horsenality chart. Your horse is either Right-brained (spooky, lacking confidence, etc.) or Left-brained (bold and dominant, etc.). Within these two sides, your horse is either an extrovert or an introvert. Whatever horsenality your horse is, there are good points and bad points. They help you figure out the best way to work with these horses. For instance, a right-brained horse needs a gentle hand, and needs to know that it is safe. On the other hand, a left-brained horse can have a high play drive, and may get bored easily, so you have to be a strong leader. I believe that you can google Parelli Horsenality Chart and take a look at it.

As for "cons". This is my personal opinion only! I feel that Parelli is very commercial. It's difficult to find a lot of detailed info on the games and so on, so you have to buy the DVDs and books to learn. They are NOT cheap!!! They used to have three levels that you work your way up, but in the past few months they did increase that number. There are a number of exercises you have to complete on video with your horse, in order to pass your level. Level One is as simple as things like saddling your horse, picking up its feet, etc. (but in the way that Parelli teaches it). I've never pursued achieving any levels (it may be my fear of failure that prevents me! lol).

With the games, you are encouraged to use your imagination, which I found difficult. Maybe someone with more horse experience than I have would be able to come up with ways to play the games, but because I was so new to it, I needed someone to give me specific exercises to do with my horse. I'm an artistic person, but when it came to coming up with ways to make the games interesting, my mind went blank.

If you take Parelli lessons through a certified trainer, you are strongly encouraged to be a member of the "Savvy Club"...which costs $20 a month USD (through Parelli's site). With the membership you get a magazine (I think), plus a training DVD once in a while.

There are a lot of other great gentle trainers out there who teach much the same thing, but charge a lot less for their DVDs. One of my favorites is Ed Dabney. He has six exercises that he teaches, that are very much like Parelli's games, yet he doesn't seem as "showy".

I know people who swear by Parelli's methods, and I know people who are turned off by his showiness. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. My trainer does a lot of Parelli's stuff, yet believes that there isn't one particular training method that works on its own. He and his wife attend clinics and get info wherever they can, and take what they like from each one and use it.

This is all just a very basic idea of what Parelli is about, but I hope it answers some of your questions.

Sorry to be so long-winded.
Exactly....light connection! Riding forward driven from your seat and legs, hands consistant using imperceptible finger tips and wrist for direction. Thank you Jan, watching you ride is like poetry in motion! In western we get criticized for too loose of rein, but our horses are "taught" to neck rein which if done correctly there is very little pressure on the mouth or it is taken off completely. Different styles of riding require different tools. Too many people are in too big a hurry to get things done, we need to remind them that horses are not cars, you just can't turn them on and go or stop. Also, fear is another reason behind all the bits, straps, whips and spurs people so depend on before they realize what they are really for.
My horse was trained with a Parelli style halter and have been riding him in that all last year trail riding and for a person who has always rode with a bridle and bit, I was astonished how well he has done and I enjoy it because I don't really hurt him when I pull on the reins. Of course I am not heavy handed but he understands when I apply pressure.
Last year I rescued a TB gelding from a school because he was going to be sent to the kill. They'd had him for a few years and were getting rid of him because he had a huge tumor on his neck. I took him, site unseen, because my daughter felt that he was nicely trained (hunter Jumper). Long story short- he is a nice horse and kids loved riding him but if he got hit in the mouth after a fence he'd make a huge fuss. After investigating him more thoroughly I found that he had tumors in a lot of places including the bars of his mouth.. We switched him to a Cook's bitless (got one for a great price on ebay) and have never had another problem. This is my first bitless bridle experience.

One of our ponies uses a rope halter with reins as a lesson pony. She's too kind to be pulled on by little kids. Another horse is in a mechanical hackamore. He was severely over trained in side reins and gets very nervous with his mouth. The bitless bridle did not work for him as well as the hackamore. And the hackamore did not work for the horse with the tumors.

Just in case it sounds like I have weird taste in equipment I'll tell you that I have a tack room full of snaffles and use those on the rest of the horses. I just don't like strong bits and tight nosebands and want to my horses ridden from the back to the front. I figure if you need to crank the mouth shut or move up to a strong bit- you probably need to go back to correct a riding or training flaw. My lesson horses are teachers and they are all very happy. And we emphasize good hands and finding the answers to problems. Every now and then we have to look for a non conventional solution.
I couldn't agree more barbara, I'll I care about is their well being, I think side reins should ONLY be used in very capable hands. I'm heading to wallenstein this weekend so I'll see what brubacher's has in stock.....I love that store!! Great job on the rescue, they always make the greatest pets!!
I love that Barbara!! We are like that here too. I teach everyone to ride back to front. Way to go, I love that!
I use a bitless bridle also. I bought the Nurtural Bitless Bridle. Made in Canada. Here is the website for more info. in case those of you haven't heard of it before. http://www.nurturalhorse.com/

Many years ago I rode with a Lindal Bridle. My horse had some head issues and it was very difficult to put a bridle on her let alone a bit too! She was very good with that set up, worked for her head issues and trust. Eventually decided to try the bit and she was good with that but was lot more tense and anxious. Went back to using the Lindall bridle back then.

My other horse loves the Bitless Bridls. OTT Standardbred who fidgeted with a bit and would spend more time chewing and doing weird faces. The Bitless Bridle works great for him.!

I like it and so does my horse!
Hi Stacy...William Micklem here...yes I use my Micklem bridle regularly as a bitless...there are 3 options...check it out in my blogs on Barnmice, starting out with the one titled - Let's redesign the horse's head. Many bitless bridles are not very comfortable but mine is. Contact Festina Lente - www.festinalente.com - they can confirm how successful my bridle has been with their 20 horses and ponies over the last year...however I also work most of my horses in an eggbutt snaffle in my bridle..sometimes with the clips to protect the tongue...give it a try..William

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service