I just found some clips from a clinic I recently held in Norway on Youtube. Since they are with me I thought we could analyze them a little without the fear of stepping on sensitive-trainer-toes ;)

The quality varies and the language is Norwegian, but I thought that might be a good thing actually. You'll hear the same thing that the horse does; a bunch of sounds without understanding the meaning of the words! You don't know the tasks or my reasons for what I am doing, but neither does the horses. Sometimes I talk to the horse, most of the time I am explaining what I am doing to the audience, and that adds confusion for the horse of course.

There are several clips and I will post them one by one here and give you the info I had on the horses beforehand.

The most interesting part here is maybe that I have never met any of these horses before that weekend, and the horses are all reacting a bit to being in a new place, so there are many signals of tention and stress, calming signals etc

So... Can you figure out the signals? What do you see the horses responding to, and what do you see in the horses? And in me?
An anylyzis thing again, but this time... No joke ;)

I will post the clips as answers under here

Views: 317

Replies to This Discussion

OMG, so there is oliver but a girl, in norway, and with spots!! moving his feet is challenging.... good job Ellen!! I see here that you two are working on her staying away and you are probably going to start liberty lunging next....

would you mind, since it is such a short clip actually translating what you are saying????? this is exactly where I am and could really use your help.....
I think I'm not paying attention anymore to what you guys are saying... this clip is more of a method of training to me.... you are reminding me so much of myself and this horse is reminding me so much of mine..... I notice you never get frustrated that she is still following you so closely... lol.... patience is a virtue with a horse such as this one..... but here is what I notice that you are doing that is so interesting...... tell me if you agree... with some horses...... you push their hip away and they will scoot off..... with a horse like this, you need to be more in control of the nose to shoulder area.... when you push her with her nose she walks off..... I was doing this same exercise with Oliver yesterday..... pushing him OUT away from me..... if I pushed his nose over he would understand......... he is creating a bigger and bigger circle.... anyway, thanks for this..... she is the most "forward" and unscared horse I've seen in a video before..... I would be curious of her story..... have they had her her whole life? the owners?????
I am glad that this horse is interesting to you ;)

When you talk about the scenes, could you give the time-codes? Write what you see from moment to moment; then I can see what you are talking about.
As for her history, I have told you everything I know about her... three years old, mare :)

Her behavior is NOT unusual; she is showing a typical behavior for a young and insecure horse: a horse that is insecure about the surroundings, but not of people. Her crowding and eagerness is normal for a horse like that.

All the clips shows my method of training, but keep in mind that this method is based on THIS horse in this situation. You commented earlier on that another horse would be flying across to the other side of the arena if I had used that kind of pressure... I agree, but with that other horse I wouldn't have used that high pressure. It's adapted to the horse's response.

Again; please tell me the time codes of the things you are commenting (don't comment on what happens with you and Oliver, comment on what is going on in the clip here) and I will try to explain what and why I am doing what I am doing... :)
yes I will.. I think for now I am just generally intrigued by her..... because I finally saw a horse that I can identify with.... now I will be happy to be more specific.... but let me ask you first.. are you asking for advance and retreat? in General... I'm not too astute at being a real specific yet..... you are way ahead of me here...... I will do my best to go by time codes next.... :)
I smile watching you two gaining success with learning.. I just love the beginning of connection of the minds. It's just special and I'm so glad there are people like you out there teaching so many of us and improving the horse~human experience. Congratulations on your successes and thanks for sharing!
Bravo Ellen!
Since there were so many clips with that horse I will start a new discussion with the next one

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service