Hello everyone.
Can someone out there help me? I'm looking for a pony for my granddaughter. The perfect pony will be on the smaller side, any colour, any breed, boy or girl, and any age. It must also be very, very safe and healthy.
In return for light work teaching my granddaughter how to ride, it will receive lots of love and great care. I'm in the Aurora/Newmarket/Uxbridge area but will travel a reasonable distance if necessary.
Oh, I almost forgot...reasonably priced.
Thank you all for putting the word out. I'm sure there must be a sadly-outgrown pony out there somewhere just waiting for a new little girl to mother him or her.

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, he did say that he had mild heaves that were easily controlled. We brought him in on trial but there was no way we could work him for longer than 5 minutes without the poor little guy being in major stress.
We've adopted him now as the owner was going to put him down and there was no way we could see that happen.
We must be more careful from now on or our barn will be filled with ponies. *laughing*
Hi Maureen, Looks like you have some good leeds to follow up on, just shows you how good this website is for this sort of thing. Living where you do ,I assume you have many riding stables nearby. As you have no doubt discovered , these places, along with pony clubs, are a great source of reliable ponies that sometimes come up for sale or lead to other contacts. As your grand child is only 5 she is going to need a lot of assistance from you for quite a while yet. With that in mind , I wouldn't be dismissing quiet reliable ones 13hh . We have had a LOT of ponies over the years, and even the quiet ones need to be ridden by a capable rider from time to time. They can get very canny about what they can get away with when only ridden by little one. So , my advice is to broaden your search to include pony's a little bigger than the size you have in mind. Just so when the pony starts to try things on you or someone else can get on to just remind the pony of the rules. Good pony's don't need much , but all pony's need some. The school horses and pony's at our place are well behaved because they get a tune up from my wife or me from time to time . The first pony is probably the most important one , as it will help setup your grand child's confidence with all other horses she might have in the future, so take you time, look at lots, have fun doing it. Best of luck , Cheers Geoffrey
Hello and greetings,
Very useful advice. I am a rider myself with many years of riding/training under my belt but to be honest I have virtually no pony experience. I'm on a steep learning curve and willing to listen to anyone who has some advice to offer. Your advice makes lots of sense. It's just that she has been riding someone else's little Shetland for a year (see my picture) and has gained lots of confidence on him. I thought that perhaps I should be looking for something similar. After reading your mail, I will now consider widening my choices.
Thanks.
So, you are a rider Maureen. Me too. I have him at Pleasure Valley on Brock Rd for the summer to ride their trails. In September I will head to a barn with an arena so as not to miss 6 months riding. Don't like to miss it at going on 65. Where do you ride and what discipline do you pursue. I am sure Barb will be able to help you even if you wait for one of hers in the early fall when they are done with the fairs. Once you connect with Barb and if you are going up to see her, let me know and perhaps I can go along as well. Cheers! Gail Morse.
Hello Gail,
I'm a wannabe dressage rider with a wannabe 17.1h warmblood who I have had since he was 2 years old. He is now 14 years so we are well-established partners and I'll love and keep him forever.
I haven't done much showing as between work and home chores, it doesn't leave much time for such pursuits and it's getting so expensive now between boarding, vet, and coaching.
I am familiar with Pleasure Valley. Many years ago with a horse I had before this one, I boarded at a place called Country Hill which was/is just south of your place...I think.

I used to ride the trails out back and it was truly fabulous. You could choose to hack out in meadow or forest and never cross trails.
I'm now boarded at Hop Hill Stables in Uxbridge. I just moved there a couple of months ago. Before that I boarded at Strathfield Farms on Warden at Stouffville. I really liked that barn but the Irwins (dressage people from Peterborough) took a lease on the property and we all had to move out unless you wanted to stay for full training. At $1700 plus GST, it was too rich for me so I, on the recommendation of a friend, I moved to Hop Hill and I just love it there.
I have left a message with Barb but she hasn't returned my call yet. I'm sure the weekends are too busy for her. I have a lead on another pony and hopefully will go to see him tomorrow. It's getting to be a bit of a chore. Finding a horse is easier than finding a child-safe pony. At least I can pop on a horse and try it out. I can't do that with a wee pony. Bah!ha!
If this one doesn't work out, then perhaps Barb has something up her sleeve and of course you can come with me. Whereabouts do you live?
I live between Port Perry and Uxbridge on Ashburn Rd. Barb is at the Tweed Fair this weekend. Try her on Monday. Where is Hop Hill Stables ie road it is on and cross road. I thought I knew about all the barns in the area. I just got back from a hack with a friend where I am keeping my horse for the winter. Hwy 12 and Townline north of Brooklin. I have a new trailer and vehicle. Now all I have to do is learn how to haul. Country Hill ued to be just south of Pleasure Valley but has moved a bit west and south. I have had my horse for 9 years and he will be with me forever as well. Who do you take your lessons from? I did dressage for years and I guess I will again this winter when we are snowed in. At least the arena where I am going is 80x200 and not dusty. Where do you live? I guess I have asked enough questions to keep you busy for a while. Talk at you later.
Hi Maureen: I just googled Hop Hill Stables. It did not give a location but is it true that it is made out of straw bales? If so, I would love to see it as my daughter in law has made a house that way some time in her short life. I have always been interested in the concept of building with straw as they are warmer in winter and cooler in the summer etc. Gail.
Hello again Gail and to everyone.
I've been so busy that I haven't had time for Barnmice. You see... once on it, I can spend many hours so I must control myself. Bah!ha!
Well, here is the latest on the pony search...
We have brought a pony into our barn on a two-week trial basis. He's a little sweetheart but I don't know if we should keep him as he has heaves...bad heaves. His condition is presently being controlled with Prednisone which the owner gave to us. My vet said that there is a risk of laminitis with long term use of this drug.
This is a dear little guy but I can't have a pony that, with a 20 minute lead-line walk, starts heaving and coughing. I'm leaning towards my vet's advice and returning him before he breaks hearts.
Any comments from you pony people out there.
LISTEN TO YOUR VET.
Hello.

Not sure what's in your area but I would suggest looking for a Connemara pony or a Welsh. They are wonderful little things. Good luck in your search!
Thank you Irish Rider,
I'm still looking. I've seen a couple of Welsh but I haven't seen a Connemara yet. I don't think I've ever seen one advertised here. I'll keep my eyes open for this breed.
Thanks again for the input.
I have two Connemara/Welsh ponies for sale - age 5 and 6. One is a chocolate palomino, the other a blood bay. Too many ponies here at the farm. visit www.saturnstablesofstcatharines.com to see their pictures on the Our Horses page.

RSS

The Rider Marketplace

International Horse News

Click Here for Barnmice Horse News

© 2024   Created by Barnmice Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service